The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Officials bashing other officials.....

Hey guys...gals hows it going? I don't know if this is relevant in your association or organization but I cannot stand when other officials say how much better of an official they are than another. I am currently in a very large organization one of the biggest in the country from what I have heard and every game I go to there is just another "story" talked about either pre game/halftime/or post game. I know yes I do get a kick out of other people bragging about themselves getting to officiate a top high school team or something along those lines. But really am I the only one that gets told these things? It just annoys me to hear others bash the fellow officials. Especially if you have to work with this guy hs,rec,or whatever. I know it is offseason but by me there is a lot of work still going around with aau, adult leagues, rec ball, and anything in between! Anyway I can not be the only one in this situation!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 02:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In my previous association, there were a couple of officials who would get discussed, but not many. I really don't see it in my current group, other than "he's/she's pretty good." Even the exceptions are more about demeanor than officiating.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Hey guys...gals hows it going? I don't know if this is relevant in your association or organization but I cannot stand when other officials say how much better of an official they are than another. I am currently in a very large organization one of the biggest in the country from what I have heard and every game I go to there is just another "story" talked about either pre game/halftime/or post game. I know yes I do get a kick out of other people bragging about themselves getting to officiate a top high school team or something along those lines. But really am I the only one that gets told these things? It just annoys me to hear others bash the fellow officials. Especially if you have to work with this guy hs,rec,or whatever. I know it is offseason but by me there is a lot of work still going around with aau, adult leagues, rec ball, and anything in between! Anyway I can not be the only one in this situation!
Are you in Northern VA? LOL
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Nope lol
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 02:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Nope lol
Well, it sounds like you could be!

Thanks BNR!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

From my experiences both near & far, officials (for the most part) are the most gossipy, rumor spreading, school girl in the cafeteria bunch I have ever been associated with.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

It comes with the territory. I would not be upset or alarmed by this. There are always going to be people with egos think someone should not be doing something that they are doing. This is not anything specific to an association or area of officiating as there are always people that cannot handle it when others are advancing past them or they are not where they think they should be. We all have egos to do this in the first place, but some do not have them in check.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:55pm
big jake

I have been abused by several and it has hurt me very bad as I have been seeing some psy doctors and they put me on some medication. If I get better I might be at the NIT tomorrow with curtis, see you on the tube idiots
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
I have been abused by several and it has hurt me very bad as I have been seeing some psy doctors and they put me on some medication. If I get better I might be at the NIT tomorrow with curtis, see you on the tube idiots
You're a NCAA-W official right? The Women's NIT is tonight and Friday.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Our local kids rec league had an official a few years ago who was the topic of discussion every time any of the officials who worked that league got together, especially if the officials were fairly young and inexperienced. They would discuss everything from how that official dressed to that official's demeanor to that official's appearance. Of course, it was because that official was a hot college co-ed.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Easiest way to deal with this type of stuff is to simply not participate. When others start "bashing" on people in your Association, simply change the subject to a story about you. Or just walk away. Once people start letting others know that it isn't acceptable, people will stop doing it. It's a slow process, but I've seen it work.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Easiest way to deal with this type of stuff is to simply not participate. When others start "bashing" on people in your Association, simply change the subject to a story about you. Or just walk away. Once people start letting others know that it isn't acceptable, people will stop doing it. It's a slow process, but I've seen it work.
+1

Control what you can control
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
easiest way to deal with this type of stuff is to simply not participate. When others start "bashing" on people in your association, simply change the subject to a story about you. Or just walk away. Once people start letting others know that it isn't acceptable, people will stop doing it. It's a slow process, but i've seen it work.
+1
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
People will still do it, they just will not do it in your presence.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
From my experiences both near & far, officials (for the most part) are the most gossipy, rumor spreading, school girl in the cafeteria bunch I have ever been associated with.
Can I get an AMEN!