The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Butler-VCU (or VCU-Butler) Conversation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/66055-butler-vcu-vcu-butler-conversation.html)

bob jenkins Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56pm

Butler-VCU (or VCU-Butler) Conversation

yakety yak here

Nevadaref Fri Apr 01, 2011 06:33pm

Butler is favored by 2.5

VaTerp Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08pm

Amazed

I am from Richmond, went to grad shool at VCU, and did work for the Jeff Capel show.

Im still simply amazed that VCU is in the Final Four. It almost surreal to me. And I never thought, that at any point, my grad school would have a MUCH better basketball program than my undergrad.

Again, amazing.

Judtech Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:08am

Since my mom went to Butler back in the day. I am torn. Do I revert to the ways of my rebellious youth and go w/ VCU? Or do I look to the future and stay in "The Will" and root for Butler?
Decisions Decisions.

grunewar Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 746137)
Since my mom went to Butler back in the day. I am torn. Do I revert to the ways of my rebellious youth and go w/ VCU? Or do I look to the future and stay in "The Will" and root for Butler?
Decisions Decisions.

Depends where you're watching the game! :p

jbduke Sat Apr 02, 2011 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 746055)
I am from Richmond, went to grad shool at VCU, and did work for the Jeff Capel show.

Im still simply amazed that VCU is in the Final Four. It almost surreal to me. And I never thought, that at any point, my grad school would have a MUCH better basketball program than my undergrad.
Again, amazing.

I'm assuming you went to Maryland. If not, please ignore the rest of this post.

Three weeks ago, Shaka Smart didn't gather his team to watch the selection show because he had no expectation that they'd even be invited.

VCU's run has been nothing short of amazing, and I would be thrilled if it lasted two more games. But do five wins in a row make them a "MUCH better basketball program" than Maryland? There's an extremely strong likelihood that the person coaching VCU next season is someone that even most passionate college hoops fans haven't heard of yet. I think that is a much more accurate measure of the difference between VCU's program and Maryland's program right now.

Scrapper1 Sat Apr 02, 2011 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbduke (Post 746188)
But do five wins in a row make them a "MUCH better basketball program" than Maryland?

Maryland didn't even get into the NIT. :eek:

APG Sat Apr 02, 2011 05:03pm

Chat Room - Join a Free Chat Room or Get Your Own Free Chat Room From ParaChat

Raymond Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:06pm

Didn't like Driscoll's block call on Butler from the C. Would have liked to see him defer to Luckie in the Lead.

grunewar Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:10pm

Lucky had the foul, but held it and deferred.

Raymond Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 746238)

Yeah, b/c Driscoll came in banging his hips.

grunewar Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746241)
Yeah, b/c Driscoll came in banging his hips.

oh, he sold it!

canuckrefguy Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746236)
Didn't like Driscoll's block call on Butler from the C. Would have liked to see him defer to Luckie in the Lead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 746238)

That's a good call for the C to make - Driscoll was a just bit behind the play, so don't think he had the best look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746221)

Says "disconnected"

Raymond Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 746244)
That's a good call for the C to make - Driscoll was a just bit behind the play, so don't think he had the best look.

Says "disconnected"

To me, Luckie, in the Lead, had the better look.

grunewar Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:18pm

A good pregame?

zeedonk Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:24pm

I see that we are already discussing the block/charge- sorry for ignoring this thread....

Anybody have a differing opinion on the block called on Butler midway through the first half? From my great angle on the couch, it looked like Butler established LGP then had a quick bunny hop backwards prior to contact. In any event, the C came in hard with the call on a double whistle for the block.
The L didn't even flinch, other than a fist in the air. No budge, no initial movement, no nothing...

Not that it matters from me, but I thought it was an impressive display of solid mechanics at the highest level on a play that we work so hard to get right both on the floor and through proper mechanics. For those of us less experienced, it's a great lesson in how proper mechanics can keep the rhythm of the game intact without having to explain a blarge, or the L doing anything other than what he's supposed to do- hit the whistle, fist up and check your partners before doing anything.

Make the call, keep the game going and most people don't even know what kind of game management problems were just avioded.

Z

canuckrefguy Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746248)
To me, Luckie, in the Lead, had the better look.

Because Driscoll was behind the play. If he's in position, it's still better for C to take the call IMO

Raymond Sat Apr 02, 2011 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 746259)
Because Driscoll was behind the play. If he's in position, it's still better for C to take the call IMO

On most fast breaks the C is gonna be behind the play and closer to the ballhandler. The Lead has an open look on both players.

VaTerp Sat Apr 02, 2011 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbduke (Post 746188)
I'm assuming you went to Maryland. If not, please ignore the rest of this post.

Three weeks ago, Shaka Smart didn't gather his team to watch the selection show because he had no expectation that they'd even be invited.

VCU's run has been nothing short of amazing, and I would be thrilled if it lasted two more games. But do five wins in a row make them a "MUCH better basketball program" than Maryland? There's an extremely strong likelihood that the person coaching VCU next season is someone that even most passionate college hoops fans haven't heard of yet. I think that is a much more accurate measure of the difference between VCU's program and Maryland's program right now.

Well, I said "at any point" and as someone else said, this year VCU made the Final Four and Maryland didn't even make the NIT. And to a larger extent, I do believe that VCU's program is in better shape relatively speaking.

In the past 5 years, VCU has made the same number of tournament appearances as Maryland and this year advanced much further than Maryland has since winning the title. Maryland has not been past the 2nd round in the past 8 years and has had one of the worst post championship runs of any NCAA champ of the last 20 years.

And as good of a game coach as Gary Williams is, he can't/won't recruit to save his life. Despite playing in a high profile conference, having great facilities, and being located right in the middle of one of the most talent rich areas in the country, Maryland has let all of the momentum of a NCAA title fall to the wayside.

VCU, on the other hand, has consistently played well for the last 10 years, put 3 young coaches on the map, and has, this year in particular, pretty much maximized their resources. So as an alum of both schools, I stand by my statement. In terms of making the most of their situations, VCU's basketball program is running circles around Maryland's right now.

Now back to discussing block/charges and all that good stuff.

canuckrefguy Sat Apr 02, 2011 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746274)
On most fast breaks the C is gonna be behind the play and closer to the ballhandler. The Lead has an open look on both players.

"Most"? Don't know about that.

BktBallRef Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 746055)

Hey VaTerp, I work with Jeff's mom. Talked to her the other day. looks like Jeff might take a year off before returning to coaching. Jeff Sr. might be doing the same. Jeff Jr. is moving back to NC. Thought you might be interested.

APG Sun Apr 03, 2011 03:58am

Here's the play that zeedonk is referring to:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YqFTWOTx6ds?hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

Block or charge?

APG Sun Apr 03, 2011 03:59am

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rAp7kC1OFt4?hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

Foul or a player getting out jumped?

APG Sun Apr 03, 2011 04:01am

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HqHNW31R3j8?hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

Marginal/incidental contact or charge?

vbzebra Sun Apr 03, 2011 06:31am

charge on both and nothing on rebound foul. Anyone else? Granted, I'm not on the floor for that game, but hey, you asked, and i gave my .01 cents :D

CLH Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 746376)
charge on both and nothing on rebound foul. Anyone else? Granted, I'm not on the floor for that game, but hey, you asked, and i gave my .01 cents :D

I concur...

Judtech Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:15pm

Kudos to the LEAD for following the "Double whistle not double preliminary" rule!!
Here is my question, and Im drawing a blank. IMO it looked like the VCU player started into his 'shooting/lay up' motion prior to making contact with the Butler player. However, when contact was made IMO again the Butler player was 'there'.
So my question is: Does the shooting motion supercede LGP or vice versa? I'm sure it is an easy answer but like I said, drawing a blank

canuckrefguy Sun Apr 03, 2011 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746342)
Block or charge?

The Butler guy was late - not by a lot, but still late. If the VCU player starts his layup before the defender "is there", it's a block.

Two things on that play - (1) excellent lead positioning by Luckie, he's boxing in the play close as opposed to being on the sideline; Driscoll is behind the play, so Luckie has a better look, even though he gives up the call. I'd bet my bottom dollar they've both got the same call, though. (2) - this is what separates the big dogs from those below them - not just the signal and hold, but the 'primary' guy taking it, which was either pregamed or a natural part of their repetroire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746343)

Agree with Clark Kellogg - a ticky-tack call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746344)

I thought it was odd that all three guys passed on this. Centre has a PERFECT look. It wasn't a train wreck, but the defender obviously had position and got knocked over.

Raymond Sun Apr 03, 2011 09:36pm

Quote:

YouTube - Fast Break Block/Charge Play VCU vs. Butler

Block or charge?

Gathering for or starting the shooting motion does not "supersede" the defender's LGP, meaning the defender still has opportunity to beat the offensive player to the spot.

If that play is a block it would be b/c contact was with the defender's right knee which appears to be outside his natural stance, not because he wasn't there first or didn't have LGP.

Juulie Downs Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 746465)
Agree with Clark Kellogg - a ticky-tack call.

I'm really disappointed with Kellogg this year. I have found him to be pretty good in the past, and not all that bad from a ref's point of view, but this year, he's been a lot less understanding about basic rules and vocabulary. Doggone it.

Nevadaref Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 746376)

I agree on all three counts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 746452)
Kudos to the LEAD for following the "Double whistle not double preliminary" rule!!
Here is my question, and Im drawing a blank. IMO it looked like the VCU player started into his 'shooting/lay up' motion prior to making contact with the Butler player. However, when contact was made IMO again the Butler player was 'there'.
So my question is: Does the shooting motion supercede LGP or vice versa? I'm sure it is an easy answer but like I said, drawing a blank

It is not the beginning of the shooting motion or the try which matters. It is the point at which the offensive player becomes airborne, and airborne is defined as BOTH feet having left the playing surface.
Until that time the defender may obtain any spot on the court and draw a charge, with the exception of directly under the basket at the NCAA level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 746465)
The Butler guy was late - not by a lot, but still late. If the VCU player starts his layup before the defender "is there", it's a block.

I have to disagree with your understanding of the college rule. As I just wrote above, the start of the layup has nothing to do with it. I suggest that you take a few moments and dig into the NCAA rulesbook, and then see if your position changes. Of course, what you have written is the way that the NBA does it. I have no idea how FIBA handles these situations.

Nevadaref Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:35am

BTW on the block/charge play involving #23 of VCU and Vanzant of Butler, I don't believe that the VCU player is in the act of shooting at the time of the contact. He has gathered the ball, but has made no motion that I can see which involves starting to throw for goal. In the super-slow one can see that he isn't even looking at the ring at the time of the contact. It isn't until afterwards that he squares himself and shoots.

APG Mon Apr 04, 2011 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 746580)
BTW on the block/charge play involving #23 of VCU and Vanzant of Butler, I don't believe that the VCU player is in the act of shooting at the time of the contact. He has gathered the ball, but has made no motion that I can see which involves starting to throw for goal. In the super-slow one can see that he isn't even looking at the ring at the time of the contact. It isn't until afterwards that he squares himself and shoots.

Really? This is easily in the act to me....wasn't even a question.

Nevadaref Mon Apr 04, 2011 03:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746591)
Really? This is easily in the act to me....wasn't even a question.

Yes, really!

Go back to your video clip (which is awesome btw [thanks so much for doing these!]) and pause it at 45 seconds. That looks to me to be an excellent moment of contact point. Please take that still photo and post it. I don't believe that the VCU player is doing anything that is part of the act of shooting. He has simply ended his dribble by grabbing the ball with two hands and is taking steps across the lane. He is merely on his way to where he wishes to jump from and make his try for goal. The defender prevented him from reaching that location.

Lastly, please note that the player is RIGHT-handed, yet at the moment of contact he is holding the ball off to the left side of his head with the palm of his RIGHT (shooting) hand facing away from the goal. Obviously, he may attempt a left-handed layup with his off hand, but that doesn't look to be likely from the game action to me. He even subsequently pulls up following the contact, twists the ball around to reorient his hands the other way, and then takes a short jumper.

I'll grant that the player does intend to shoot as there is no other option for him given his court location and the placement of the other players. However, he wasn't yet shooting at the time of the contact. It seems that you consider him to be attempting a try due to his proximity to the goal. If we teleported this action to the division line, then no one would think that the player was in the act.

Judtech Mon Apr 04, 2011 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 746580)

That's the answer I think I am looking for. I do disagree in that I thought he was in the act of shooting but based on not being airborne I think they may have missed this one. (Yes, I even super s l o w moded it) To me it looked like he gathered, took a step then crash. BUT the first part is what I was looking for!!

JugglingReferee Mon Apr 04, 2011 09:54am

Quote:

Block or charge?

Player control. My belief is that the C's call was 100% wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746343)

No foul here. The call took away a great rebounding effort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746344)

I've got a foul against the ball carrier.

drofficial Mon Apr 04, 2011 09:56am

Boys, if that is not a charge (the one where Jamie held the call), then there is no such thing as a charge. Offesive player straight thru torso of defender with LGP. Easy, easy call. I am sure Jamie had a charge...

jbduke Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by drofficial (Post 746677)
Boys, if that is not a charge (the one where Jamie held the call), then there is no such thing as a charge. Offesive player straight thru torso of defender with LGP. Easy, easy call. I am sure Jamie had a charge...

From the looks of his body language as he finishes his signal and looks at Luckie, I don't think Driscoll liked the call very much. Of course he might have been fine with the call, but just a little nervous about what might have been had Luckie not held his preliminary.

Adam Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48am

Looks like an easy charge to me.

Judtech Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 746702)
Looks like an easy charge to me.

...says my wife when she goes shopping...

BktBallRef Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 746555)
I'm really disappointed with Kellogg this year. I have found him to be pretty good in the past, and not all that bad from a ref's point of view, but this year, he's been a lot less understanding about basic rules and vocabulary. Doggone it.

He also seems to feel like he has to talk CONSTANTLY.

Steve Kerr can barely get a word in but when he does, his comments are far more interesting.

Do us a favor tonight, Clark. Don't talk just because you can.

Raymond Mon Apr 04, 2011 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drofficial (Post 746677)

Like I posted earlier, there is an argument for a blocking foul based on the defender's knee sticking out. Depends if you felt the first contact was to the torso or to the leg.

Adam Mon Apr 04, 2011 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746739)
Like I posted earlier, there is an argument for a blocking foul based on the defender's knee sticking out. Depends if you felt the first contact was to the torso or to the leg.

Hmm. That's what I get for commenting after one view. I think the first contact was with the extended leg/knee, but I think that contact was incidental and had no effect on either player. The contact in the torso, however, was PC foul.

That, of course, is with the benefit of slow motion replay. It's a lot more natural in real time, from the C's angle, to see that outstretched leg and call a block. I can't fault him for that.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 04, 2011 04:14pm

Rebounding foul....

Perhaps the call was for the push in the back that moved the VCU player forward a couple of feet before they went up for the ball. Had the Butler player not moved him forward, the Butler player wouldn't have been able to get to the rebound. I'd delay the whistle on that to see if the ball came off in that direction before blowing that a foul.

The style signal provided seemed imply it was for that part of the action.

Adam Mon Apr 04, 2011 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 746777)
Rebounding foul....

Perhaps the call was for the push in the back that moved the VCU player forward a couple of feet before they went up for the ball. Had the Butler player not moved him forward, the Butler player wouldn't have been able to get to the rebound. I'd delay the whistle on that to see if the ball came off in that direction before blowing that a foul.

The style signal provided seemed imply it was for that part of the action.

Agreed. Delayed whistle with the correct result.

7IronRef Mon Apr 04, 2011 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746739)

I agree with the fact that the defense stuck out his leg. That was his only option as the offense was making an attempt to change direction - even if it was just enough to try to avoid the defense.

As far as the attempt to shoot, he was going to shoot. He was leading a 1 on 1 break with everyone else trailing the play by 6-10 feet.

Block, shooting FT's

As far as the rebounding play, the Butler player pushed the VCU player on the release. Although I don't think I would have called a foul on this play. Typically the defense has to withstand a great deal of contact by the offense and by the time they stop loosing ground they are no longer able to jump.

The last play, the Butler player did not establish LGP, but I had the advantage of slow motion. The VCU player had started to elevate before the Butler player had LGP. Without replay, I probably call the PC.

Adam Mon Apr 04, 2011 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 746794)
As far as the rebounding play, the Butler player pushed the VCU player on the release. Although I don't think I would have called a foul on this play. Typically the defense has to withstand a great deal of contact by the offense and by the time they stop loosing ground they are no longer able to jump.

Sorry, but the push created a huge advantage. The defense doesn't have to withstand any contact, especially contact that both displaces and disadvantages them. The only possible (not necessarily valid) complaint is that the whistle was late; but it was the right call.

Nevadaref Mon Apr 04, 2011 06:40pm

Quote:

As far as the attempt to shoot, he was going to shoot. He was leading a 1 on 1 break with everyone else trailing the play by 6-10 feet.

Block, shooting FT's

Was going to is not the same as being in the act of shooting at the time of the contact.

I already wrote that attempting to score was his only option on the play due to the location of the other players, but if he hadn't yet begun his shooting motion then he can't be awarded FTs.

Adam Mon Apr 04, 2011 06:41pm

Quote:

The last play, the Butler player did not establish LGP, but I had the advantage of slow motion. The VCU player had started to elevate before the Butler player had LGP. Without replay, I probably call the PC.

I completely disagree. He had LGP before the VCU player even took off on his jump stop. Two feet down, facing the offensive player. What do you think he was lacking?

Whether the contact was incidental or not is tough to argue from this angle, IMO, but there's no real question that he had LGP in plenty of time.

Raymond Mon Apr 04, 2011 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 746777)
Rebounding foul....

Perhaps the call was for the push in the back that moved the VCU player forward a couple of feet before they went up for the ball. Had the Butler player not moved him forward,

You mean like Kenyan Martin pushed Lamar Odom completely under the basket yesterday? :D

APG Mon Apr 04, 2011 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746842)
You mean like Kenyan Martin pushed Lamar Oden completely under the basket yesterday? :D

I saw that play...saw nothing wrong with the play and Lamar Odom would tell you the same thing.

Raymond Mon Apr 04, 2011 07:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 746847)
I saw that play...saw nothing wrong with the play and Lamar Odom would tell you the same thing.

There may be nothing wrong with that play at the NBA level but in NCAA and NFHS that is a foul.

canuckrefguy Mon Apr 04, 2011 07:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 746856)
There may be nothing wrong with that play at the NBA level but in NCAA and NFHS that is a foul.

True that

btaylor64 Mon Apr 04, 2011 07:45pm

Here are my takes on the play just seeing them for what they are and having no idea about the game:

1) I have block- the defender does get into a LGP but the off. player does a good job and I believe he is going to slip by him and the defender sticks his leg out and elbow out to "force" the contact.

2) Definitely not a rebounding foul.

3) Definitely an offensive foul.

I don't like questioning officials calls without talking to the officials in person, these are good plays though and as long as we learn from them I like it.

Nevadaref Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64 (Post 746864)
Here are my takes on the play just seeing them for what they are and having no idea about the game:

1) I have block- the defender does get into a LGP but the off. player does a good job and I believe he is going to slip by him and the defender sticks his leg out and elbow out to "force" the contact.

2) Definitely not a rebounding foul.

3) Definitely an offensive foul.

I don't like questioning officials calls without talking to the officials in person, these are good plays though and as long as we learn from them I like it.

I had no doubt that you would have a block on play #1 when you finally posted due to your pro-mentality on block/charge situations. :(

btaylor64 Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 746881)
I had no doubt that you would have a block on play #1 when you finally posted due to your pro-mentality on block/charge situations. :(

not thinking pro philosophy just not gonna give a kid an offensive foul when he sticks his elbow out to cause the contact. That is outside his "frame" and imo there would have been far less contact had he not done that.

BTW it's not "pro philosophy" it's just rules that I go by. Philosophy would be like saying most refs believe if a player's head is past the defender's shoulders it should be a block. That is philosophy. Rules are more concrete such as, if the defender's body is not in the off. player's path and he doesn't beat him to that spot first then it is a block.. That is a rule.

Didn't want to teach class, but seems you need to be educated on the difference since you want to take pod shots at me.

You saying that to me is like me saying, "yeah I can see you making that call an offenisve foul.... with your high school thought processes..."

I am more than willing to hear your in-depth detailing and reasoning why you think it is an offensive foul other than he takes it in the torso, cause that is not the case at all.

Adam Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:58pm

I don't know Nevada's reasoning, but mine is simple. The contact on the knee was incidental, no advantage either way. The contact on the torso, however, was a PC foul.

Just because the defender sticks his knee out doesn't absolve the offensive player from responsibility. If you judge the contact on the knee "caused" the contact on the torso, then go with the block.

Oh, and the head/shoulders thing is rule now, not philosophy. 10-6-8

btaylor64 Mon Apr 04, 2011 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 746900)
I don't know Nevada's reasoning, but mine is simple. The contact on the knee was incidental, no advantage either way. The contact on the torso, however, was a PC foul.

Just because the defender sticks his knee out doesn't absolve the offensive player from responsibility. If you judge the contact on the knee "caused" the contact on the torso, then go with the block.

Oh, and the head/shoulders thing is rule now, not philosophy. 10-6-8

oh ok thank you for that. So you believe he hits him in the torso?? Maybe the shoulder but I can barely see torso, but after watching it by play pausing the super slo mo I'm ok with ppl saying offensive foul... I just believe the player could have gotten by with less contact without the knee and the elbow being stuck out and also after play-pausing I believe the defender leans over and forward(into) the off. player but that's just what I am seeing. Player's leaning, stepping forward and sticking parts of their body outside their plane is not legal to me. That may just be me.

Adam Mon Apr 04, 2011 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64 (Post 746913)
oh ok thank you for that. So you believe he hits him in the torso?? Maybe the shoulder but I can barely see torso, but after watching it by play pausing the super slo mo I'm ok with ppl saying offensive foul... I just believe the player could have gotten by with less contact without the knee and the elbow being stuck out and also after play-pausing I believe the defender leans over and forward(into) the off. player but that's just what I am seeing. Player's leaning, stepping forward and sticking parts of their body outside their plane is not legal to me. That may just be me.

Not the best angle in the world from the camera, to be sure. Frankly, on a play like this, either call is at least somewhat defendable.