The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Really strange story (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/65990-really-strange-story.html)

Scrapper1 Thu Mar 31, 2011 09:44am

Really strange story

Quote:

Basketball Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins, who serves as an analyst on Atlanta Hawks broadcasts for FOX Sports South, was attacked by a fan at Philips Arena on Wednesday after the Hawks' 85-82 victory over the Orlando Magic, according to a statement released by the Hawks.

The Hawks did not identify the fan, but said he was taken into custody by Atlanta police. The alleged attacker was Rashan S. Michel, 36, a former NBA and college referee. Michel was charged with one count of simple battery following the incident, which according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, stemmed from a dispute over money owed to him for suits he made for Wilkins.

According to reports, Michel hit Wilkins in the chest and also struck a security guard. It was also reported that Michel told police he attacked Wilkins because the former Hawks legend owed him money for suits bought several years ago.
How bizarre is this? Bad enough the guy is assaulted on the court, just after finishing his job; but the attacker is a former NBA ref? And he's mad about suits that he made for Wilkins? Just so strange!

Raymond Thu Mar 31, 2011 09:53am

Rashan Michel - College Basketball Referee

A gap between 96-97 and 01-02, maybe that's when he worked in the NBA.

bainsey Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05am

Does Michel not know the contextual meaning of whack?

Scrapper1 Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 745484)

I bet that page gets more hits today than it's ever had before! :D

Raymond Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12am

Good friend of mine says he knows him. Good college official but screwed up in the NBA and came back to college for a while. Says he is a pretty big dude.

tref Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:18am

*Wondering if he sold suits to players while he was working in the league??*

If so, that couldn't have been a good look :eek:

Why would Nique stiff him on the bill?
Why not take him to court to get paid?

Really strange story...

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47am

Why didn't he just go on Judge Judy? :)

BBrules Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 745506)
Why didn't he just go on Judge Judy? :)

She's out sick - talking gibberish. (I thought that was normal for her):D

pizanno Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:27pm

"You should see the other guy..."

SPORTSbyBROOKS Dominique Attacker Was NBA Official At Age 23!

http://simg.sportsbybrooks.com/2/5/2...helmugshot.jpg

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:40pm

Now there will be a different kind of suit...

Welpe Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:42pm

Wow. Either Wilkins got him good or he "resisted arrest".

Nevadaref Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:09pm

You heard it here first

A couple of years ago on this forum I contended that people who are in their early and mid 20s are not mature enough to serve as officials for upper level games. This story serves as an example of exactly what I meant. The NBA pushed these youngsters up too fast and got bit in the backside for it.

Multiple Sports Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:40pm

Agree !!!!!!!!

I just don't think that most of us have the people and social skills to be dealing with the NBA World at the age of 23 - 26.

I remember Darrell Garrettson (RIP) saying one year at Coast to Coast that this wasn't the real world. I honestly don't know how some of those guys
are able to keep it all together at such a young age !!!!!!!

grunewar Thu Mar 31, 2011 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 745660)
I just don't think that most of us have the people and social skills to be dealing with the NBA World at the age of 23 - 26.

And neither do a lot of the athletes.......

JRutledge Thu Mar 31, 2011 07:50pm

I do not think age has anything to do with it. It seems like this guy just has some issues when you are attacking someone over a suit in the first place.

Peace