The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Headbands (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6588-headbands.html)

RookieDude Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:25pm

Question came up the other night...
Can a player wear his headband around his neck?
One official saw two players wearing their headbands around their neck during warm-ups. (Apparently didn't do it during the game)
One official stated that the neck was part of the head...thus the player can wear it over his eyes for all he cares...just as long as the headband is somewhere on his head... legal?

Dude

Nevadaref Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:53pm

I have given this some more thought and although I still stand by my original answer, which was no, I didn't have the right reason. I was thinking that it had to be to control hair. That doesn't seem true to me upon further reflection. What about a player with a shaved head? He can wear a sweatband on his head.
I would have to rule that around the neck it is not appropriate equipment, unless the player had a good reason for it (skin condition, injury). Just like a player wearing gloves.

dhodges007 Sun Dec 15, 2002 02:56pm

Not on my game. What if someone gets their hand tangled in it and choke him? I don't want that type of responsibility. Once we are in regulation game...bring it up.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 16, 2002 01:36am

Headband usage is found under Head decorations and headwear. No, I would not let him wear it around his neck.

rgaudreau Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:42am

The neck is now part of the head? I guess the ankle is now part of the foot as well? :)

There`s nothing I hate more than playing ball and getting a sweaty neck. Drives me nuts. ;)

BigJoe Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:07am

Had a kid the other day and he had two headbands on in warmups. They were different colors. I made him take one off before he was able to play. I hope this isn't some new fashion statement that we will be facing in the upcoming year! On an aside, I saw Rasheed Wallace the other night when playing the T'Wolves put his headband in his mouth several times. The announcers said he should wear it there all the time and he wouldn't get T'd up as much!!!

RookieDude Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:09am

...no jewelry allowed...that's a cloth "necklace" kid...gotta go! ;)

Dude

donj Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:20am

For NF. What about these so called thin string ankle braclets that the kids wear. Should they be required to be taken off for the games. If so, most would have to be cut off with scissors. What's the ruling on this. I allowed one to stay on my last game since I didn't feel that it would make him jump higher or run faster. Appreciate the postitive feedback on this. Thanks.

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:27am

Pre-wrap headbands

Saw a Girls varsity team wear green (team color) prewrap as headbands the other day. My veteran partner, the R for this game, let them wear it. The stuff is pretty flimsy and will easily tear so I didn't see a big safety issue... probably should have had them remove it anyway - not really part of their designated uniform... now is it. Any comments?

BktBallRef Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BigJoe
Had a kid the other day and he had two headbands on in warmups. They were different colors. I made him take one off before he was able to play.

Hmmm...why?

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Dec 16, 2002 01:11pm

Why what?

Why should I have made them remove it (we didn't) or why did they wear it (team spirit I suppose) or why should I get your comment (because this is an insightful group and I appreciate your response, Tony)?

ChuckElias Mon Dec 16, 2002 01:51pm

Tony,

TH was asking BigJoe what rule gave him the authority to require the player to remove one of his headbands.

Chuck

ScottParks Mon Dec 16, 2002 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by donj
For NF. What about these so called thin string ankle braclets that the kids wear. Should they be required to be taken off for the games. If so, most would have to be cut off with scissors. What's the ruling on this. I allowed one to stay on my last game since I didn't feel that it would make him jump higher or run faster. Appreciate the postitive feedback on this. Thanks.
They're gone in my games. Just like rubber bands, etc. around the ankles or wrists.

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Dec 16, 2002 03:30pm

Ah Ha!

Read the post. The whole post. Thanks Chuck.

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 16, 2002 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by donj
Comes off in my games.

You'd be surprised how fast "permanent" jewelery comes off when you tell players that they can't play with it on. Of course, I've had so many questions/complaints that my line is - "I don't care if it's tied on, if it's soldered on, or if you were born with it - you can't play if you're wearing it, no matter how many yards of tape are covering it!"