The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I was at a very fun party this weekend (after a very bad game) and got to talking to a woman there about 6-player basketball. She claims that Iowa was still using it for girls in 1990!!! She graduated from high school in Iowa in 1987, and then her younger sister in 1990. Fall of 1990 ws the first year they used "normal" Fed rules for girls.

Any dinosaurs in Iowa care to reminisce a little for the benefit of us "youngsters"?
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

This sounds like Loch Ness and that big hairy guy running around Portland.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in high school in Texas in the mid 70's our girls played 6-woman basketball - at least one version of it. Three defenders, three offensive players, on each end, none could cross the midcourt line. Hard to believe it still exists.

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to renoref
Wink I remember

I live in a border state (Illinois), and can remember Iowa state finals broadcast on local TV. If I recall, they could only dribble three times before passing or shooting in addition to not being able to cross the division line.They
still played 6 on 6 for awhile after 5 on 5 was introduced.Slowly died out. Who would want to only play defense ?
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Any dinosaurs in Iowa care to reminisce a little for the benefit of us "youngsters"?
I don't know about the dinosaur part but the 6 girl basketball part is true. I'm not sure of when we changed so I'll assume rainmakers friend is accurate. We still are not square with the fed rules as there are still 11 "adaptations" used for the girls. No jumpball, when to change the arrow, injured player, etc.

When I was in high school, girls basketball was as, or more popular than the boys game. Just like NBA vs WNBA, I think we have tried to make girls play like boys and for the most part it's not possible.

If you are curious about current rules go to: http://www.ighsau.org and click on 2002 rules adaptations.

Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Don't cross the division line

I remember it when I was in about the 6th grade ==> 30 years ago! Growing up in Jesseville, Arkansas
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

I could be wrong,but I think that the 6-person girls' game was generally phased out in the early 60's.I remember doing a few games when I first started,and the rules were something else:
1)3 offensive players and 3 defensive players per team.
2)They had a line on the floor about 2/3 of the length of the court at either end.The defensive players couldn't touch or go over the line in front of them.The offensive players couldn't touch or go over the line behind them.
3)Two dribbles were allowed maximum.The technique that was taught was to use a hard dribble and let the ball bounce as many times as you could before dribbling the 2nd. time,or passing-to get the ball as far upcourt as possible.

I remember that the local Catholic girls high school played in skirts that were mid-calf length,also-with bloomers underneath.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

3)Two dribbles were allowed maximum.The technique that was taught was to use a hard dribble and let the ball bounce as many times as you could before dribbling the 2nd. time,or passing-to get the ball as far upcourt as possible.

I remember that the local Catholic girls high school played in skirts that were mid-calf length,also-with bloomers underneath.
In Louisiana - Early 6Os we had 5 girls and 3 dribbles. Catholic elementary schools went to 8th grade. None that I remember had a gym. So we played on the blacktop. Boys and girls would bring jeans from home to wear.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Iowan here -

I remember back in the days of 6-on-6 girls basketball. I was in Junior High back them. The best thing the state of Iowa did was move girls basketball to 5-on-5. The game has only gotten so much better!

Smiles,
DJRedfox
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

It is my understanding that girls who played the 6-on-6 game where at a severe disadvantage when it came to college scholarships because they were somewhat "handicapped" by the need to be strictly a defense OR offense player.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 01:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Re: I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by renoref
I live in a border state (Illinois), and can remember Iowa state finals broadcast on local TV. If I recall, they could only dribble three times before passing or shooting in addition to not being able to cross the division line.They
still played 6 on 6 for awhile after 5 on 5 was introduced.Slowly died out. Who would want to only play defense ?
I remember that too.

Now they do a coin flip for the jump ball. Iowa Girl's Softball has their own rulebook. The Umpires wear white shirts and black pants. And both Baseball and Softball seasons are played all in the summer time (I liked that one). Iowa just seems to do their own thing. So much for the NF regulations.

Peace