The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2011 NCAA Womens Tournament discussion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/65344-2011-ncaa-womens-tournament-discussion.html)

Nevadaref Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:23pm

2011 NCAA Womens Tournament discussion

My first comment:
#3 UCLA AT #11 Gonzaga. :confused: Until this is fixed we can't take the womens tournament seriously. What a shame.

jalons Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34pm

The announcers also stated that Gonzaga finished the season ranked #19 in the country, yet they are an 11-seed.

And the men's committee was taking heat....

JRutledge Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37pm

Obviously no one cares or they would not need to seed and play under these circumstances.

Peace

ODJ Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:03am

Tennessee's opening game was a 50 point blowout.

Women's tourney is 64 teams purely for equality's sake. (Not hating on the women's game, just sayin'.) We're about to begin our third generation with Title IX, and there is STILL not enough attention to developing girls into quality players to field 40 quality teams in the nation. That is a shame.

Even the Women's NIT is 64 teams. Go figure.

Pauley Pavilion is closed for renovations. Guess the Galen Center (USC) was out. Bruins had a big lead, too.

grunewar Tue Mar 22, 2011 04:04am

No Bracketology for this one? Unfair! I protest!!

I'll take all the #1 seeds!!

GoodwillRef Tue Mar 22, 2011 05:10am

It is all about venues that draw crowds for the NCAA. Tenn has played at home forever.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 22, 2011 06:13am

And whereinthehell is BadNewz with his list of officials for this tournament?

Sexual discrimination!

Sexual discrimination, I tell ya.

Well, for one I'm certainly not about to take this. I intend to fight it until M&M's last breath.

chseagle Tue Mar 22, 2011 08:02am

The question I have is how did Spokane manage to get a full bracket load of games of the NCAAW Tournament?

1st & 2nd round at Gonzaga, with all other games at Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena.

Raymond Tue Mar 22, 2011 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 742232)
My first comment:
#3 UCLA AT #11 Gonzaga. :confused: Until this is fixed we can't take the womens tournament seriously. What a shame.

#15 McNeese St hosted the #2 seed (Texas A&M?).

I assume the 16 1st & 2nd round sites are pre-determined and the NCAA just hopes that the host school will have a good team that year.

Raymond Tue Mar 22, 2011 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 742308)
And whereinthehell is BadNewz with his list of officials for this tournament?

Sexual discrimination!

Sexual discrimination, I tell ya.

Well, for one I'm certainly not about to take this. I intend to fight it until M&M's last breath.

Guilty as charged! Or would you like me to fight these charges so that we can watch M&M get exhausted? :D

Raymond Tue Mar 22, 2011 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 742252)
Tennessee's opening game was a 50 point blowout.

Women's tourney is 64 teams purely for equality's sake. (Not hating on the women's game, just sayin'.) We're about to begin our third generation with Title IX, and there is STILL not enough attention to developing girls into quality players to field 40 quality teams in the nation. That is a shame.

But ironically, the women have had one occurrence of a 16 seed beating a 1 seed.

M&M Guy Tue Mar 22, 2011 08:29am

...gasp..wheeze...

rockyroad Tue Mar 22, 2011 08:44am

It's a pretty simple concept...the NCAAW teams can't see enough tickets to sell-out a coliseum-type site, so they use home courts of certain schools each year. If that school happens to be good enough to make the field, they get to play at home. Gonzaga was selected as a site last year and then won the WCC title. They still had to play the game, and UCLA wasn't good enough to stop 'Zaga's point guard...tough beans for UCLA.

Judtech Tue Mar 22, 2011 08:46am

1. The NCAAW brackets were easier to pick. I just followed UConn/Tenn/Baylor/Stanford to the final four and filled in the rest.
2. The Tennessee game was pretty exciting. You must have missed the Marquette game.
3. #33 for Penn State can shoot the lights out. Saw her in the Big 10 Tourney. Said she launches 1000 3ptrs a day. I was assuming in practice not a game. Too bad they lost, she was my pick to be the lady's version of JIMMER!
4. Tourney sites are based on $$$. As of a few years ago each site had to pay to host. Also, where can they draw the most people. That is why you see games in Storrs and Knoxville. The Zags women's team has been underappreciated all year, IMO
5. 1998: #16 Harvard 71 - #1 Stanford 67
6. Games to watch Oklahoma/Miami and Xavier/Louisville

26 Year Gap Tue Mar 22, 2011 09:46am

I did pick a bracket, but I have no clue how it is doing. I forgot my password, but I think it is something like "whocares".