The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I did pick a bracket, but I have no clue how it is doing. I forgot my password, but I think it is something like "whocares".
Ha! What was your UserName? Bigfndeal?
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 07:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
UConn vs Purdue

I went to the Chat Room and there was no one there.......
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 07:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
There is a chat room?
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ladies: Georgia-FSU Inadvertent Whistle?

Did anybody watch the end of the UGA FSU women's game. The announcers completely ignored it, but it seemed to appear there was an inadvertent whistle that resulted in a FSU player quitting on the play. Even live I was convinced I heard a whistle, on audio replays more convinced, but it was ignored by the ESPN announcers.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 07:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Tennessee's opening game was a 50 point blowout.

Women's tourney is 64 teams purely for equality's sake. (Not hating on the women's game, just sayin'.) We're about to begin our third generation with Title IX, and there is STILL not enough attention to developing girls into quality players to field 40 quality teams in the nation. That is a shame.

Even the Women's NIT is 64 teams. Go figure.

Pauley Pavilion is closed for renovations. Guess the Galen Center (USC) was out. Bruins had a big lead, too.
I'm going to disagree slightly and say it has more to do with interest from the girls than from the attention they're getting.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 07:49am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
Did anybody watch the end of the UGA FSU women's game. The announcers completely ignored it, but it seemed to appear there was an inadvertent whistle that resulted in a FSU player quitting on the play. Even live I was convinced I heard a whistle, on audio replays more convinced, but it was ignored by the ESPN announcers.
You are kidding, right?
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 08:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
Saw the replays (basketball withdrawal is now officially in full swing for me), and while it sounded like a whistle, no way to be certain it wasn't a sneaker. One player was fooled, that's it.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

I don't see the need to be so negative and derogatory.
If you aren't interested in the NCAAW's game, then simply steer clear of this thread. Otherwise, you simply come off as a jack@ss.

There are certain aspects of officiating that one can learn from in these contests. The question above about the possible whistle during play in the closing seconds of a tied game has merit. BTW the clip is being shown over and over on SportsCenter, so no one had to watch the full game or even had to catch the tail end of it to see this.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Because Purdue only had 13 points in the first half?
I went to the chat room twice last nite and was all alone!

I liked last nite b/c of all the upsets. And if you read my earlier postst the "Games To Watch" were actually pretty good!!
I saw the UGA game and I agree with Snaq-a-licious that it sounded more like a sneaker than a whistle. It was the FSU players fault for "giving up on the play"
I agree with NEVADA to a point. While I fully accept that the Women's game is different and not as popular as the men's game its no reason to demean those officials or players. IMO, if you watch it you can comment on some of its quirks (13 points Boilers, Really?) but if you don't watch it what can you really say?
Honestly "I hate women''s basketball" sounds alot like the howler monkeys in the stands saying "Ref, you suck" Or variations on that theme
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
As a ref who did primarily Women's HS Varsity games this year I certainly watch it on occasion. I poke fun, but I try not to be hurtful. It's a different game.

That being said, the college games remind me a lot of my HS games - have's vs have nots. Only a few really good players/teams out there.

Most of my games were blowouts too. JMO.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Agreed. The good thing is that there are more teams becoming "HAVE's". But again, there are still a lot of "Have nots'" IMO, there seems to be parity in "the middle" but huge outliers on either side. The traditional powers are always tough and when they lose it really is an upset. Then on the bottom end of the scale......well........... But in the middle, you see a lot of teams that have equal talent and ability. IMO, that level of play is increasing which is a good thing and will, eventually, catch them up with the "Have's"
SATURDAY'S Games To Watch

Gonzaga v Louisville
Stanford v UNC - I just have a gut feeling on this one

SUNDAY'S
Georgia v Texas A M
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Saw the replays (basketball withdrawal is now officially in full swing for me), and while it sounded like a whistle, no way to be certain it wasn't a sneaker. One player was fooled, that's it.
It did sound more like a sneaker than a whistle...if you watch the replays it doesn't look like any of the officials "looked" like they blew their whistle.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

If people do not like the NBA they make comments. The same works here. If you do not like those comments, do not read them or participate in a thread about women's basketball.

And many of the comments are true as the ratings are in the toilet anyway compared to the same thing on the Men's side.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 01:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
It did sound more like a sneaker than a whistle...if you watch the replays it doesn't look like any of the officials "looked" like they blew their whistle.
Had a 'sneaker squeak' in one of my games this year. Both L and myself looked over at C, who refused to make eye contact. Kind of a blank stare. After a brief pause, the kids went back to playing the final minute or so remaining in the game.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 03:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Anyone else see the Vandersloot kid from Gonzaga become the first NCAA D-1 player - male or female - to reach 2,000 points and 1,000 assists in a career?

Pretty cool to see John Stockton in the crowd yelling and cheering for her as she set that record. Not to mention that it was a pretty good game...and yes, there are some of us who do watch NCAA-W games. Admittedly not as much as NCAA-M, but I do watch some of them.
Closed Thread