The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   History of three man (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6514-history-three-man.html)

Tim Roden Tue Dec 10, 2002 03:08am

I was watching the 1987 championship game on ESPN classic last night. Wow was that something. I didn't watch that much of the game but the mechanics of the three man crew was interesting to watch. It looked like an L and two T's from two man. They were way out on the court and they moved a lot. Today's three man is so cool in comparison. L moved back and forth so much I wasn't sure which side of the floor he would be on in transition. I would like to know how they knew who would be the new lead without having to turn around and see which side of the floor the old L was coming down. The L also spent a lot of time looking right down the paint. I noticed very little time being wide. At the T/C, they were always moving. Looking for that look through angle between players. They did not rotate based on L but more on where the competitive matchup was.

I don't know if anyone here was doing three man in 1987 but could you tell me if my observations are close?

BktBallRef Tue Dec 10, 2002 05:38am

The '82 game was broadcast on Sunday afternon. They worked 3 man and it was, shall we say, differnet. BTW, Hank Nichols may have had the worst mechanics of any oficial I have ever seen! :)

Jeff the Ref Tue Dec 10, 2002 07:46am

Nyuk, Nyuk, I'm trail...no I'm trail.

stripes Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:16am

Back in the early days of three man, the C was always opposite the table. We have an evaluator who doesn't seem to realize that has changed. (he always uses the vernacular, "When you're C and opposite", even if you're C and Table side). I believe that in the beginning the L went wherever he felt he needed to go.

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
Back in the early days of three man, the C was always opposite the table. We have an evaluator who doesn't seem to realize that has changed. (he always uses the vernacular, "When you're C and opposite", even if you're C and Table side). I believe that in the beginning the L went wherever he felt he needed to go.
That's my remembrance of the mechanics then.Lead roamed the baseline,but came back table side on all plays when he transitioned to Trail.All end line throw ins were administered towards the C.The official who called a foul always went to Center,and Trail and Lead switched.Center took all throw ins in on his line,even in backcourt.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 10, 2002 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

That's my remembrance of the mechanics then.Lead roamed the baseline,but came back table side on all plays when he transitioned to Trail.All end line throw ins were administered towards the C.The official who called a foul always went to Center,and Trail and Lead switched.Center took all throw ins in on his line,even in backcourt.

Correct. Our friends in the NBA invented the "flex." They were doing it for years before the change was made in NCAA and NFHS.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 11, 2002 06:50am

Quote:

Back in the early days ....
when the officials took a horse and buggy to the game!

Andy Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

This is the way I learned three-man. Just as I got comfortable with it, they introduced the "flex". Grrrr...:mad:

This old dog had to learn new tricks!

Tim Roden Wed Dec 11, 2002 02:59pm

When the Woman's three man mechanics was brought out a few years ago, some of us had to learn some new tricks there too. Some of those changes have been brought to the NF. So there will always be things that change. I just thought it was weird to see how much has changed when you saw an old game officiated.

Things I like now. How much energy is expended calling a game. Well defined areas.

Things I like then. Knowing that you won't be shuffled to T when your C. Not having to watch your fellow official to know when to move. You moved based on the competitive matchup.

Things that stay the same. The L still makes most of the calls since the fouls mostly occur under the basket. More fouls off ball are caught and thus a cleaner game.