The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Injury stoppage Galore (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64573-injury-stoppage-galore.html)

chartrusepengui Thu Mar 10, 2011 01:17pm

Injury stoppage Galore

Tuesday VG tournament game.

1. B1 runs out and jumps to block a 3pt attempt. Misses player and ball but lands and rolls ankle. 5 minute wait.

2. B2 trailing B3 racing down court. B3 stops, B2 runs into her shoulder and gets bloody nose. Blood all over court. 12 minute cleanup.

3. B3 runs out to block a 3 pt shot, goes up, lands on top of B4 who was guarding A1. Another ankle and another 5 minutes or so to get her off court.

4. B4 gets rebound, chins ball and pivots - smack into B2's face. Another bleeder and another 10 minute delay to get blood off floor.

5. B4 and B5 going for ball from opposite directions. Wham - knees collide. B4 walks it off. B5 carried off.

6. B4 rebounding and comes down on B6 foot rolling hers badly. DELAY again.

7. B2 racing to get a fumbled ball. B8 also trying to get to it. Collision with heads leading. Monster nose bleed and girl sitting and weaving on court. Coach comes out to deal with her. She is major wobbly on way to bench.

Then B7 fouls out of game. Coach tells me that he will play with 4 as B2 still in locker room trying to stop nosebleed and B2 he is being cautious with as he believes she has a concussion. I didn't have to say a thing about that.
They played for 3 minutes or so with 4 players and then B8 comes out of locker room with nose packed.

Last 30 seconds of game. Partner starts to pivot to switch from trail to lead on intercepted pass. Another B player smacks him and twists him. Blown knee, ACL, MCL and tear in Patella. Funny thing was all the contact causing injuries were on B. B coach just shaking his head saying "wow, what else could go wrong". ME: Don't even think about that!!!!!

Never had a game like that in 25 years+. BTW - no stoppage for partner, he hopped and I long changed for the final few seconds.

New partner for Friday.

Mrcrash3 Thu Mar 10, 2011 01:23pm

All I can say is
WOW:)

BBrules Thu Mar 10, 2011 01:35pm

Man, sounds like B4 is a walking disaster area!

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 10, 2011 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 738699)
They played for 3 minutes or so with 4 players and then B8 comes out of locker room with nose packed.

Did you stop the clock and pretend to tie your shoe so she could sub in quickly? :rolleyes:

This game seems to prove the old adage of "an accident waiting to happen".

Camron Rust Thu Mar 10, 2011 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrules (Post 738707)
Man, sounds like B4 is a walking disaster area!

Sounds like most of TEAM B is, not just B4.

wizard Thu Mar 10, 2011 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 738754)
Sounds like most of TEAM B is, not just B4.

Let me guess... Coach B was yelling, "PRESS!PRESS!PRESS!"

chartrusepengui Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard (Post 738763)
Let me guess... Coach B was yelling, "PRESS!PRESS!PRESS!"

The only thing he said, that I heard was "get back!" and to me, "please God let this be over"

I chuckled and nodded!

wizard Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 739038)
The only thing he said, that I heard was "get back!" and to me, "please God let this be over"

I chuckled and nodded!

Good stuff...

grunewar Fri Mar 11, 2011 01:16pm

I've reffed in games I've referred to as "train wrecks" (bodies all over the floor). But, compared to this, I'm not sure that many people become injured in a train wreck.

Tough game.

On a side - one of the players on my son's team sprained his ankle first game of the season. Nasty. Worked his way back into playing shape and got in the second to last game of the season on Wed night. Going up for a layup in the second quarter, hard foul and he goes down in a heap. He heard his knee pop. Sad, good kid....bad yr. :(

wizard Fri Mar 11, 2011 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 739069)
I've reffed in games I've referred to as "train wrecks" (bodies all over the floor). But, compared to this, I'm not sure that many people become injured in a train wreck.

Tough game.

On a side - one of the players on my son's team sprained his ankle first game of the season. Nasty. Worked his way back into playing shape and got in the second to last game of the season on Wed night. Going up for a layup in the second quarter, hard foul and he goes down in a heap. He heard his knee pop. Sad, good kid....bad yr. :(

Ugh... thats an awful way to spend his spring and summer (or any time of year for that matter).

APG Fri Mar 11, 2011 01:30pm

I'm surprised the OP got out in one piece. Even if I had great partner(s) for that game, I might invoke, GIGDGO. ;)

chartrusepengui Fri Mar 11, 2011 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 739076)
I'm surprised the OP got out in one piece. Even if I had great partner(s) for that game, I might invoke, GIGDGO. ;)

Tried to - but there wasn't enough time between injuries!!

It didn't help that they played on a tile floor!