The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 266
Best Careers for College Officials

I have always wondered what were the best careers for an official who would like to get to the collegiate level. Obviously a job that would allow time off and one where traveling away wouldn't be a problem. Education, Self Employment, ect.?

Any officials want to name their careers that they work along side officiating?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Handbasket distributor.

Although, business has picked up a lot recently due to more people using them to go certain places.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:38pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Handbasket distributor.

Although, business has picked up a lot recently due to more people using them to go certain places.
I used a rowboat.

Just saying....
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 266
I should have known this would bring some interesting responses
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,381
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Amway. As long as you have enough people in your downline.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
I should have known this would bring some interesting responses
Would you expect anything less from some of us?

Actually, in my case, it doesn't matter what the exact occupation is, but rather I have understanding bosses that allow me to leave a little early on certain days, while knowing I will make up the time on other days.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Would you expect anything less from some of us?

Actually, in my case, it doesn't matter what the exact occupation is, but rather I have understanding bosses that allow me to leave a little early on certain days, while knowing I will make up the time on other days.
Same here. As long as 40 hours are in the books on Friday.
__________________
I gotta new attitude!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 266
Anybody ever heard or known of a Law Enforcement Officer officiating in college conferences??
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:18pm
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
A lot of the people I know who work multiple D-1 Conferences are either self-employed or are employed in a business where they are paid commissions - insurance, outside sales, etc. I know several who are teachers/principals and have a District that will let them take unpaid days. I know very few who are in hourly wage type jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:26pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Anybody ever heard or known of a Law Enforcement Officer officiating in college conferences??
Yes, I've met quite a few.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43
If you have any interest in golf, I would golf pro and d1 official would be a great combo. Work on the course in the Summer and officiate in the Winter.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 354
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Outside or Corporate Sales for me (I am not at present a d-1, but travel quite a bit for business)

I know that quite a few of the present D-1 guys own their own businesses, are retired, or are 'self-scheduled' to allow freedom.
__________________
www.pbboa.org
www.gsoa.org
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:50am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
A lot of the people I know who work multiple D-1 Conferences are either self-employed or are employed in a business where they are paid commissions - insurance, outside sales, etc. I know several who are teachers/principals and have a District that will let them take unpaid days. I know very few who are in hourly wage type jobs.
The high school guys in my area tend to be self-employed (realtors, landscapers, etc), cops, attorneys, or military.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:53am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The high school guys in my area tend to be self-employed (realtors, landscapers, etc), cops, attorneys, or military.

Pretty much the same around here plus educators, white collar types with flexible hours ( I fall into this category) and those that work shifts other than when games are being played.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:56am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
For some reason I'd forgotten about educators.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
College Officials CDurham Basketball 12 Mon Feb 07, 2011 05:36pm
College Officials CDurham Basketball 5 Sun Feb 14, 2010 01:45am
College Officials refnrev Volleyball 5 Tue Sep 16, 2008 08:54am
Why do High School officials dislike College officials so much? JoeyCrawford Basketball 57 Mon Feb 11, 2008 07:58pm
College Officials IREFU2 Basketball 30 Fri Dec 02, 2005 01:26pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1