The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Best Careers for College Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64381-best-careers-college-officials.html)

CDurham Tue Mar 08, 2011 03:17pm

Best Careers for College Officials

I have always wondered what were the best careers for an official who would like to get to the collegiate level. Obviously a job that would allow time off and one where traveling away wouldn't be a problem. Education, Self Employment, ect.?

Any officials want to name their careers that they work along side officiating?

M&M Guy Tue Mar 08, 2011 03:32pm

Handbasket distributor.

Although, business has picked up a lot recently due to more people using them to go certain places.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 08, 2011 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 737812)
Handbasket distributor.

Although, business has picked up a lot recently due to more people using them to go certain places.

I used a rowboat.

Just saying....

CDurham Tue Mar 08, 2011 03:40pm

I should have known this would bring some interesting responses

26 Year Gap Tue Mar 08, 2011 03:44pm

Amway. As long as you have enough people in your downline.

M&M Guy Tue Mar 08, 2011 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 737816)
I should have known this would bring some interesting responses

Would you expect anything less from some of us? ;)

Actually, in my case, it doesn't matter what the exact occupation is, but rather I have understanding bosses that allow me to leave a little early on certain days, while knowing I will make up the time on other days.

tref Tue Mar 08, 2011 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 737824)
Would you expect anything less from some of us? ;)

Actually, in my case, it doesn't matter what the exact occupation is, but rather I have understanding bosses that allow me to leave a little early on certain days, while knowing I will make up the time on other days.

Same here. As long as 40 hours are in the books on Friday.

CDurham Tue Mar 08, 2011 04:18pm

Anybody ever heard or known of a Law Enforcement Officer officiating in college conferences??

rockyroad Tue Mar 08, 2011 04:18pm

A lot of the people I know who work multiple D-1 Conferences are either self-employed or are employed in a business where they are paid commissions - insurance, outside sales, etc. I know several who are teachers/principals and have a District that will let them take unpaid days. I know very few who are in hourly wage type jobs.

Raymond Tue Mar 08, 2011 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 737832)
Anybody ever heard or known of a Law Enforcement Officer officiating in college conferences??

Yes, I've met quite a few.

Mechanicsman Tue Mar 08, 2011 07:13pm

If you have any interest in golf, I would golf pro and d1 official would be a great combo. Work on the course in the Summer and officiate in the Winter.

Jeremy Hohn Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27am

Outside or Corporate Sales for me (I am not at present a d-1, but travel quite a bit for business)

I know that quite a few of the present D-1 guys own their own businesses, are retired, or are 'self-scheduled' to allow freedom.

Adam Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 737833)
A lot of the people I know who work multiple D-1 Conferences are either self-employed or are employed in a business where they are paid commissions - insurance, outside sales, etc. I know several who are teachers/principals and have a District that will let them take unpaid days. I know very few who are in hourly wage type jobs.

The high school guys in my area tend to be self-employed (realtors, landscapers, etc), cops, attorneys, or military.

Welpe Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 738579)
The high school guys in my area tend to be self-employed (realtors, landscapers, etc), cops, attorneys, or military.

Pretty much the same around here plus educators, white collar types with flexible hours ( I fall into this category) and those that work shifts other than when games are being played.

Adam Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56am

For some reason I'd forgotten about educators.