The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OT - Bieber strikes again (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64185-ot-bieber-strikes-again.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 05, 2011 07:30pm

OT - Bieber strikes again

One of my games today was a 6th grade boys local rec league game. They come out of a timeout and call a play - "Beaver" (not unusual at all for a play name here in Oregon). I say to the kid, "Bieber?" He says loudly, "Why does everyone always say that? The play is Beaver, not Bieber. We wouldn't have a play named Bieber. We're not a bunch of faggots!"

Nice language from a sixth grader.

NoFussRef Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49pm

I have always been proud to announce that I am native to the "Beaver State".

While I cannot say I do not agree with the lil guys view of the Bieber fan's persuasions... I still have to ask if you whacked him or not. (if not, was this a one on one or was this loud enough for lil Johnnys and Janies in the stands to hear it? :eek: )

VaTerp Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:16pm

Considering what I have seen and heard from youth in recent years, I'd say his response was pretty appropriate.

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 736898)
I still have to ask if you whacked him or not.

No, I didn't whack him. Only I heard it and he was just responding to the comment I made kind of sarcastically.

refiator Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:51pm

I wouldn't whack him unless he had a comb-over like the real Bieber. Only teen I have ever seen with such a cut.

NoFussRef Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 736901)
Considering what I have seen and heard from youth in recent years, I'd say his response was pretty appropriate.

Not saying the kid doesn't have a point, :D

But if we choose to ignore it, where do you think they get the idea that it is appropriate. I know that, along with fashion-police rules, Mark's sitch is a judgement call and individual officials will choose handle it differently, just curious how he handled it.

In my games, if a player at any age level says something along these lines, and it is loud enough for others to hear, I've got a T.

I have whacked adult men for foul language, and explained to them that when their own young children are on the sidelines hearing it, I will T it everytime.

NoFussRef Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 736910)
No, I didn't whack him. Only I heard it and he was just responding to the comment I made kind of sarcastically.

Based on reading your posts since I joined this forum, I had a feeling this was a one-on-one conversation. Loved the kids view of the Bieber craze (gag me!), and appreciated this thread.

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 06, 2011 06:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 736910)
Only I heard it and <font color = red>he was just responding to the comment I made kind of sarcastically</font>.

Karma's a b!tch, ain't it? :)

Welpe Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05pm

To quote Ozzy..."What's a Bieber?!"

Adam Mon Mar 07, 2011 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 737225)

Kinda looks like a girl.

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 737225)

That's got to be one of the funniest commercials in years. :D