The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Concussion Legislation Proposed in Iowa (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64150-concussion-legislation-proposed-iowa.html)

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:49am

I recommend that all officials take the course. I also recommend that all legislators take the course. Saying the words "Exhibiting the signs of a possible concussion" is a protection for the official. And beckoning on the coach in those instances will ensure that the player will be replaced.

I had one near the end of the season. I blew the whistle because the kid was shaking his head after having gone to the floor and possibly hitting his head. The play was at the other end with no attempt to go for the basket by the other team. The kid returned later that quarter, but in FL, that is on the coach. We are to assume clearance has been given. Watching the video, it seems prudent that anyone leaving should not play anymore that game. I saw the video after the incident.

BayStateRef Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55am

Massachusetts passed a "concussion law" last year. All the responsibility is with schools and parents; officials are not mentioned at all.

The state law...and corresponding direction from the MIAA, however...calls for stronger action than the NFHS rules. If a player is sent out of a game (or practice) with symptoms of a concussion, he may not return that day at all...and may not return without written permission from a health-care professional to the school athletic director.

Details here: Concussion Update Issues

SNIPERBBB Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 736877)
sounds like the state is ripe for a lawsuit here.

I personally find that to be a silly use of legislative time, but unless there's something in there that's not being reported here, I don't see anything that makes it more likely for an official to get sued.

It should be noted that that 99.99% of all legislative time used is silly.

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 737036)
It should be noted that that 99.99% of all legislative time used is silly.

And the rest is squandered.

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:21pm

When In The Constitution State, Do As ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 737016)
Saying the words "Exhibiting the signs of a possible concussion" is a protection for the official. And beckoning on the coach in those instances will ensure that the player will be replaced.

As I have already stated, we have been advised not to use the "C Word" here. Instead we have been advised to just tell the coach what symptoms we have observed. i.e., beckon the coach and say, "Hey coach, this kid hit his head and seems a little shaky on his feet". After that we just treat it as any other injury.

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 737055)
As I have already stated, we have been advised not to use the "C Word" here. Instead we have been advised to just tell the coach what symptoms we have observed. i.e., beckon the coach and say, "Hey coach, this kid hit his head and seems a little shaky on his feet". After that we just treat it as any other injury.

I haven't been nutmegged, so I am fine with my language.

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45pm

Take It Over To The Soccer Forum ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 737061)
I haven't been nutmegged, so I am fine with my language.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gD3ox_MdCrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NoFussRef Sun Mar 06, 2011 01:53pm

I can almost see it now...

Star player H1 fast break drives through and hits wall on endline. Bumps his a head a bit. Shakes it off and wants to continue.

HC for Visitor will come in with "Hey Ref, I think H1 is showing sings of concussion, you better do something." :rolleyes:

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 06, 2011 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 737100)
I can almost see it now...

Star player H1 fast break drives through and hits wall on endline. Bumps his a head a bit. Shakes it off and wants to continue.

HC for Visitor will come in with "Hey Ref, I think H1 is showing sings of concussion, you better do something." :rolleyes:

He'd better be in his box when he says it. :cool:

Adam Mon Mar 07, 2011 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 737055)

Coach: "So what does the rule book say about "shaky on his feet? You can't send him to the bench for that."

mbyron Mon Mar 07, 2011 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 737315)
Coach: "So what does the rule book say about 'shaky on his feet'? You can't send him to the bench for that."

Exactly. And diction is no defense against legal liability: I can be sued for failing to enforce the policy just as easily as enforcing it using the word 'concussion'.

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2011 06:08pm

When In The Constitution State ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 737316)
Exactly. And diction is no defense against legal liability: I can be sued for failing to enforce the policy just as easily as enforcing it using the word 'concussion'.

Plus, once he's beckoned, then he either has to request, and be granted, a timeout, or let the player sit a tick. After that it's up to him, and his health care professional, to let the kid continue to play, or not. The rest is none of my business. In Connecticut, I've done my job.