The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

i am not a ref or coach - although i will be coaching my 9 yr old this year...here's me question...if a guy is cutting towards the hoop without the ball and someone passes it to him and he never controls it, but fumbles it for 3 steps, is it a violation? can he eventually gain control and then have his two steps and shoot? thanks
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
No possesion, no violation. Player must have control before a travel violation can be called.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 07:06pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by paulsimko
i am not a ref or coach - although i will be coaching my 9 yr old this year...here's me question...if a guy is cutting towards the hoop without the ball and someone passes it to him and he never controls it, but fumbles it for 3 steps, is it a violation? can he eventually gain control and then have his two steps and shoot? thanks
paulsimko,
The bobbling of the ball will be judged by the official as to whether or not the player has control, so don't teach your kid how to control the tip and move down the court.
He'll probably be caught.

Also, once the ball is in control he gets one step and then may lift his pivot foor, but he may not return the pivot foot to the floor. Thus, instead of "his two steps", we have a step-and-a-half.
mick
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 07:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
[.here's me question...if a guy is cutting towards the hoop without the ball and someone passes it to him and he never controls it, but fumbles it for 3 steps, is it a violation? [/B]
Is it a violation? No

Does it ever get called a violation? Yes, all the time. The crowd and the opposing coach scream in perfect unison: WALK!!! THAT'S A WALK!!!! I say this is not a democracy, so it is not a walk.

Coach: No way he can legally go from there to there without a dribble.

Me: If he can convince me that it is all part of a fumble, he can go from one end of the court to the other.

Hopefully , in a 9 year old game, this as well as a lot of things that are violations, will be given some slack.

[Edited by just another ref on Dec 1st, 2002 at 06:57 PM]

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

thanks...and i wasnt asking from a

coaching standpoint...i play and this morning they (no refs) called a walk on me when i never had possession...and, since I walk ALMOST every time i possess the ball, it was hard to argue confidently
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 09:14pm
In Memoriam

I thought you were coaching yer kid.

Quote:
coaching standpoint...i play and this morning they (no refs) called a walk on me when i never had possession...and, since I walk ALMOST every time i possess the ball, it was hard to argue confidently
paulsimko,
Like Just another Ref stated, this call can be misinterpreted by too many officials.
You cannot travel if you are not in control of the ball.

Rule 4-12-1 : "A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds."

Case 4.43 SITUATION A : A1 attempts to catch the ball while running rapidly. A1 muffs the ball, but succeeds in securing it before it strikes the floor. A1 then begins a dribble, taking several steps between the time the ball was first touched until it was caught. Ruling: There has been no violation provided A1, after catching the ball, released the ball to start the dribble before the pivot foot was lifted from the floor.