The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   If it isn't youtube, it's facebook (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/63869-if-isnt-youtube-its-facebook.html)

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 02, 2011 05:45pm

If it isn't youtube, it's facebook

Everyone is a cameraman. There is a video link in this story. I don't know if this had a crew of 2 or 3. It appears that the lead is calling from across the lane on this play.

Varsity Insider Rice-Spaulding video spurs chatter, investigation

NoFussRef Wed Mar 02, 2011 06:18pm

I would go intentional foul on this.

I can't see calling it flagrant, but what I see are the arms/hands purposefully extended into the rebounder. If he hadn't extended into the rebounder I could see just a run-of-the-mill personal foul.

As for flagrant, my job is not to read the mind of the fouler, just view the action and rule on what I saw. Makes no difference to me if the player fouled is their star, or their weakest bench-warmer.

M&M Guy Wed Mar 02, 2011 06:20pm

"Investigation"? For what, exactly? It looks like the defender may have given a little push, but it doesn't appear obvious to me. It wasn't overly hard contact either. A foul was called. Could it have been an intentional? I would probably back my partner if they called that as well.

So, what's the purpose of an "investigation" on this play?

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 02, 2011 06:31pm

I am not sure, but I would not be surprised if the video was sent to the school AD, directly or indirectly. IF, an official had a clear view like the guy with the camera, then an intentional foul certainly could have been an option. It doesn't appear that the calling official had that same kind of angle, however. The other school is not pursuing anything.

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 02, 2011 06:31pm

At minimum, I have an INT. I have no problems with a flagrant either.

The person committing the foul made no attempt to play the ball. Easy INT call.

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 02, 2011 06:40pm

An investigation? For what? The only difference if it would have been called intentional would be the possession after the free throws. And this happened in the first quarter. It's not like it determined the game. A lot of hype over nothing.

rlarry Thu Mar 03, 2011 06:07am

The "investigation" is being done by the offending players A.D. I don't think it is just because of this one instant,but rather a pattern of behavoir on the player.

chseagle Thu Mar 03, 2011 06:17am

According to comments off the facebook posting of the video, the one team was continually pulling stuff like the video showed all throughout the game (playing off the ball & causing excessive contact).

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 03, 2011 07:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 736148)
According to comments off the facebook posting of the video, the one team was continually pulling stuff like the video showed all throughout the game (playing off the ball & causing excessive contact).

Well, if that team's fans said that on facebook, it just has to be true.

Raymond Thu Mar 03, 2011 08:39am

I have called IF on this type of play before. Ideally the "C" would have had a great angle to see this play.

tref Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jurassic referee (Post 736158)
well, if that team's fans said that on facebook, it just has to be true.

+1

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 736178)
I have called IF on this type of play before. Ideally the "C" would have had a great angle to see this play.

True. Hard to tell if the official opposite the video was T or C. Not enough time to really see if the L came across the lane late and a rotation was not able to be completed or not. There were 3 on that game.

chseagle Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 736158)
Well, if that team's fans said that on facebook, it just has to be true.

Not always are postings on Facebook to be believed, even if majority of the comments on the video are basically a conversation between parties. Like everyone on here knows, not everyone that goes to a basketball game fully understands the rules.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 736246)
Not always are postings on Facebook to be believed, even if majority of the comments on the video are basically a conversation between parties. Like everyone on here knows, not everyone that goes to a basketball game fully understands the rules.

I'm with JR.... I think if it's on the facebook, it is true.

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 736250)
I'm with JR.... I think if it's on the facebook, it is true.

eagle has a point....not everyone who attends a game fully knows the rules....even when they are clearly outlined on the forum....

btw The coach pulled the player right after and he did not return.