The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

With so much going on in "The Wonderful World Of Basketball" today there may come a time when as officials we may have to be subjected to background checks,and drug testing. How do you feel about this?
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

What would a background check or drug test accomplish?
I work in an organization (actually two) that has drug testing. Unless there is safety involved or it is the military who cares?

Unless the organization had some very specific rules and some good legal advice I think it would be a bad thing! Official's groups are open to the public to join. Restricting membership based on someone's criminal background or drug use would be getting risky. It is no different that having a background check to join the Kiwanis, Rotary, etc.

The only question may be is to have a pedophile working a jr high school game.... but I dont think all assignments could be restricted.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
WE DON'T HAVE A UNION!

Since we don't have a union as officials on the high school and collegiate level, then how could we fight such a demand?
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

The question is who would impose this upon us?
You are exactly right we are not employees. We are generally independent contractors. There are a couple of issues to be hurdled.
1) Unless there are competing officials associations, usually we are the only game in town and someone recognizes the group through some sort of contractual relationship.
The group refuses to work. ( acts like a union)

2) Who would pay for the tests? These tests are not cheap. If the official were required to pay, we would find ways to pass it on.

3) What would be the purpose? Most drug testing goes on in safety sensitive areas. officiating is not a safety sensitive position.

4) Most organizations dont test regular employees. Why would they impose it on us? We are not athletes competing... If we are impaired someone wil notice.

5) How many lawsuits would they face for unreasonableness?

I need to do more research, but random drug testing and pre-employment drug testing seem to have fairly narrow scopes under the law.

To join an officials organization is like I mentioned before no different than to join anyother community organization. It is open to the general public. There may be rules on who works what games but we could not exclude someone in an officials organization because of criminal background.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

I would have no problem submitting to a drug test and/or a criminal background check (as I have nothing to hide). The state or school, or whoever wants this information, would just have to foot the bill. I suspect that the expense of such testing would be prohibitive in most situations. Do you know of any states requiring this for HS officials?
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not exactly,

Several states have UNIONIZED officials. I can think of a half dozen without much effort.

In Washington D.C. and Northern Virgina the majority of baseball umpires are indeed unionized.

There are also several basketball unions at local levels.

Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
While an official's drug use might not be a safety issue, it is definitely an issue regarding the "integrity of the game". An official who has a large debt to his dealer might easily be willing to influence the outcome of a game in order to pay off that debt.

This is why gambling is frowned on by most major sports leagues, even if the person is not gambling on his/her own sport.

Just my 2 cents

Chuck
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

New York State has proposed legislation that would subject
scholastic sports officials (among others) to fingerprinting
and a background check to determine if the person has been
convicted of child sex abuse.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 11:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

New York State has proposed legislation that would subject
scholastic sports officials (among others) to fingerprinting
and a background check to determine if the person has been
convicted of child sex abuse.
...And Little League will "require" DL# and SS# this year for the first time for all volunteers for background checks.
George Orwell lives.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Here in the state of Washington, we are required to have a background check every two years. They look for child molestation offenses...Personally, I think it is a good thing and have no problem with it. Sure beats the alternative don't you think?

Z
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 07:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Illinois.

In my state we were required to give a Driver's License copy a few years ago to get a background check. They also ask if we have been convicted of any drug usage or possession charges, along with assult of children, sexually or physical abuse. And we are also to inform the state if we are up for any felony charges (not yet convicted). Failure to do so can result in lost of license all together.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Talking And ...

Next we will need a psychological profile to determine if we have the proper disposition to be a referee. Unfortunately most of us will fail and be committed to the State Mental Hospital where all coaches sit on the board of Trustees. We would all be diagnosed with a masochistic disorder because we love to take abuse from players, coaches and fans.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: And ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Next we will need a psychological profile to determine if we have the proper disposition to be a referee. Unfortunately most of us will fail and be committed to the State Mental Hospital where all coaches sit on the board of Trustees. We would all be diagnosed with a masochistic disorder because we love to take abuse from players, coaches and fans.
Yeah, the test might be someone points at a brick wall and
tells us there's a 5th grade rec game on the other side.
They need a ref, but the only way into the gym is through
the wall. You fail the test if you run into the wall more
than twice.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not exactly,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Several states have UNIONIZED officials. I can think of a half dozen without much effort.

In Washington D.C. and Northern Virgina the majority of baseball umpires are indeed unionized.

There are also several basketball unions at local levels.

I belong to the largest basketball officials association in Northern Virginia and we are not unionized. To the best of my knowledge, this point has never come up.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

The cost of drug testing is not cheap, I cannot see where it would be cost affective to put a program like this in place. I think it would be different if an official came to the game site under the influence (alcohol or drugs). The association may have penalties in place for such action. I know our association does.

AK ref SE