The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Do Over (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/63620-do-over.html)

Zoochy Mon Feb 28, 2011 05:59pm

Do Over

The only do over covered in the Case book is
10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1
inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A’s basket.
RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next throw-in begins: (a) charge Team A with an unsporting technical foul; (b) assess a delay-of-game warning for interfering with the ball after a goal; (c) cancel the field goal; (d) cancel any common foul(s) committed and any non-flagrant foul against A2 in the act of shooting; and (e) put “consumed” time back on the clock.
COMMENT: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, the entire procedure would be followed except no unsporting team technical foul would be charged. A team technical would be assessed if the team had received a previous delay warning. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball. (4-47-3; 10-1-5d).
With that being stated, here is my play. So far in the game the ball has been placed on the floor because the teams have been slow to break from their huddle on a Time-Out. Again, both teams are really slow breaking the team huddle to begin the 4th quarter. I blow my whistle. State "Blue ball" and place the ball on the floor. Both teams scurry onto the court. "White team goes OOB, picks up the ball and throws the inbounds pass to their teammate. I blow the whistle. Is this a do over w/o assesing a unsporting team technical foul?

Adam Mon Feb 28, 2011 06:01pm

Call the DOG violation.

APG Mon Feb 28, 2011 06:02pm

Delay of game warning

Zoochy Mon Feb 28, 2011 06:22pm

That's all we did. White gets DOG violation. Gave the ball to Blue team.

mbyron Mon Feb 28, 2011 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 735228)
That's all we did. White gets DOG violation. Gave the ball to Blue team.

It's just a warning. Blue should have the ball anyway, not because of a DOG "violation."

Nevadaref Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 735282)
It's just a warning. Blue should have the ball anyway, not because of a DOG "violation."

Actually it's both a violation for breaking the plane during the throw-in and a DOG warning.

Adam Tue Mar 01, 2011 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 735308)
Actually it's both a violation for breaking the plane during the throw-in and a DOG warning.

Yep, which becomes highly relevant if it's an AP throw-in.

stir22 Tue Mar 01, 2011 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 735418)
Yep, which becomes highly relevant if it's an AP throw-in.

would you explain this a little more?

thank you.

26 Year Gap Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 735431)
would you explain this a little more?

thank you.

If the defending team has a DOG warning, and it was an AP throw-in, then the new throw-in is due to the warning and the arrow does not change.

stir22 Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 735435)
If the defending team has a DOG warning, and it was an AP throw-in, then the new throw-in is due to the warning and the arrow does not change.

gotcha. many thanks.

SNIPERBBB Tue Mar 01, 2011 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 735220)
Again, both teams are really slow breaking the team huddle to begin the 4th quarter. I blow my whistle. State "Blue ball" and place the ball on the floor. Both teams scurry onto the court. "White team goes OOB, picks up the ball and throws the inbounds pass to their teammate. I blow the whistle. Is this a do over w/o assesing a unsporting team technical foul?

So did blue get the next AP if there was one?

Zoochy Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 735662)
So did blue get the next AP if there was one?

I can not recall:D