The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Pre-Game meetings, captain meetings NFHS

looking for stuff to discuss during pre-game meetings with officials and then captains meetings as well. Working a NIRSA tourney @ KU this weekend.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Captain's meeting: Tell your teammates we aren't taking any sh!t today so play ball and STFU.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Captain's meeting: Tell your teammates we aren't taking any sh!t today so play ball and STFU.
hahahaha. if only if only.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Captains meeting: "Captains, control your players before we have to." That, for the most part, it is. I know when I did a NIRSA tournament a couple of years back, they had us read some sportsmanship spiel off a card for the meeting. That didn't last into the second day haha
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Captains meeting that a guy in my association uses and I have stolen for myself a few times.

"Keep your shirts tucked, shorts up, and mouths shut. Any questions?"
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

okay, now anyone with a structured pregame conference with your partners?
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
okay, now anyone with a structured pregame conference with your partners?
That stuff in the manual, do it. Put your whistle in you pocket before you pee, see you on the floor at 15.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

My pre-games are relatively short. My two main points are always communication and consistency. Cliff notes version:

Let's communicate as much as possible. Quick eye contact on dead balls, make sure we are all on the same page, slow down and talk to at least one partner if something funny happens, if you warn a coach/player let us know, etc.

Consistency means that we all have our own judgment and way of calling the game but it shouldn't take us long to figure out what the game needs and how we want to call it as a crew. Let me live and die with marginal contact in my area but if you have to get something then do it.

Cover basics like Trail and C taking plays to the basket, L usually has best look at secondary defender, no prelims on double whistles for block/charge, rotate until the end, and a few other things.

Let's have fun.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:18am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Captains meeting: "Captains, control your players before we have to." That, for the most part, it is. I know when I did a NIRSA tournament a couple of years back, they had us read some sportsmanship spiel off a card for the meeting. That didn't last into the second day haha
APG, I gotta do it... YOU'RE DONE!!!!

That was ACIS though, wasn't it? Either way, I had a great time there too!
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
APG, I gotta do it... YOU'RE DONE!!!!

That was ACIS though, wasn't it? Either way, I had a great time there too!
Yup, that officials meeting was a trip.

As far as pregames go, the officials manual has a good checklist as to what to go over. If you don't have that, I'm sure BillyMac will be along to paste a pregame.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 08:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
As far as pregames go, the officials manual has a good checklist as to what to go over. If you don't have that, I'm sure BillyMac will be along to paste a pregame.
Or you could use the Search Tool at the top of the Forum and search Pre-Game. I'm sure there's just a few there.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:16am
Lighten up, Francis.

I was actually complemented by one of my partners yesterday for my standard captains' spiel:

"Guys, if we're talking to you, we're trying to help you. So please listen. If you have a problem with each other, don't take it to him [pointing at opposing players], bring it to us and we'll listen, I promise. It's post-season and we don't want to toss somebody for doing something dumb, so let us handle it. Shirts in, elbows in, have a great game."
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quick search for pre-games came up with several links. Here are a couple:

Looking for a detailed pre-game

Pre Game
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
looking for stuff to discuss during pre-game meetings with officials and then captains meetings as well. Working a NIRSA tourney @ KU this weekend.
shouldn't be a whole lot different from the meetings you've had for 50 games (or whatever) this season.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame Meeting ...

From my pregame:
Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges, of the coaching box.

The following are a few years old and may be outdated:

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, team, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the umpire that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)

Can you guys in New Jersey, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Florida, please update these, if needed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 26, 2011 at 12:46pm.