The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Administering Intentional Personal foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6332-administering-intentional-personal-foul.html)

Jerry Blum Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:25am

When an intentional foul has been called we shoot 2 shots (unless intentional was on shooter shooting a 3 pointer) and ball out of bounds at spot nearest to where spot occurred. My question is which official should be the one administering the free throws? Should this be the official that called the the foul(similar to a technical if I'm not mistaken) or should we perform our normal switch as if it was a common foul or shooting foul?

Thanks for your help.

LarryS Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:34am

We do the normal switch, but then I'm in Texas and we are a little different...I mean special. :D

Jerry Blum Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:47am

Am I correct about the official who calls the Technical administering the free throws? Just want to make sure I have that one correct.

zebraman Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:15pm

<i>When an intentional foul has been called we shoot 2 shots (unless intentional was on shooter shooting a 3 pointer) and ball out of bounds at spot nearest to where spot occurred.</i>

You would also shoot two shots (plus ball) if the 3-point shooter made their three-pointer.

Z

Camron Rust Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry Blum
Am I correct about the official who calls the Technical administering the free throws? Just want to make sure I have that one correct.
Nope. Like all other fouls, a normal switch should be made and whoever becomes lead will administer the FTs. Whoever becomes trail with administer the division line throwin.

That said, many official don't do it that way.

Mregor Fri Nov 22, 2002 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry Blum
However you decide you want to handle it. The reasoning for the calling official to administer is to get them as far as possible away from the coach; to difuse the situation.

Rock'nRef Fri Nov 22, 2002 09:18pm

Just a note on Camron's reply.....

I believe that on intentional fouls, the throw-in is administered at the out of bounds spot nearest the foul (7-5-11) instead of the division line.

Other than that, I agree with the switch.

BktBallRef Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rock'nRef

I believe that on intentional fouls, the throw-in is administered at the out of bounds spot nearest the foul (7-5-11) instead of the division line.

Re-read Cam's post. He was replying to a technical foul question, for which he is correct.

Tim Roden Sat Nov 23, 2002 02:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
We do the normal switch, but then I'm in Texas and we are a little different...I mean special. :D
In Texas, the only thing we don't switch on is a common foul where no free throws will be shot. So like everyone one else using NF machanics. Switch on the intentional foul.

Rock'nRef Sat Nov 23, 2002 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Rock'nRef

Re-read Cam's post. He was replying to a technical foul question, for which he is correct.

I stand corrected... my apologies Camron....

RR