The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Louisville Officials Associations (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/63299-louisville-officials-associations.html)

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 24, 2011 07:36am

Louisville Officials Associations

I got a buddy of mine moving to Louisville at the end of March...can someone give me some information on some local official associations? He works football and basketball.

mbyron Thu Feb 24, 2011 07:51am

You mean Louisville, KY (LOO-vul), right? Not one of the 10 other communities in the U.S. with that name?

tjones1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 09:06am

Here's a good start:

Kentuckiana Basketball Officials Association

Basketball Assigning secretaries (PDF)
http://officials.khsaa.org/bkassigningsecretaries.pdf

Rich Thu Feb 24, 2011 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 733817)
You mean Louisville, KY (LOO-vul), right? Not one of the 10 other communities in the U.S. with that name?

If I said I was moving to Philadelphia, would you ask if I meant Pennsylvania or one of the other more obscure Philadelphias?

BTW, I lived in an apartment in Louisville, TN (which is just south of Knoxville and is pronounced Lewis-ville to the surprise of every telemarketer who called) for a couple of years and even I read the OP's question and immediately thought of Kentucky.

Likewise, if the OP had said Columbus, I would've assumed Ohio (even though my home is in Columbus -- in WI).

Well, maybe if *I* say I'm moving to Philadelphia, you should ask. :D

PG_Ref Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 733832)
Here's a good start:

Basketball Assigning secretaries (PDF)
http://officials.khsaa.org/bkassigningsecretaries.pdf

What is a "Kentuckiana"?

Adam Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 733841)
BTW, I lived in an apartment in Louisville, TN (which is just south of Knoxville and is pronounced Lewis-ville to the surprise of every telemarketer who called) for a couple of years and even I read the OP's question and immediately thought of Kentucky.

Louisville, CO, is also pronounced "Lewis-ville."

Nevada, IA, is pronounced "Nu Vade uh."

Adam Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 733891)
What is a "Kentuckiana"?

I'm guessing it's east of Texarkana.

Maineac Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 733891)
What is a "Kentuckiana"?

Well, since it's not "Kentuckinois," "Kentuckihio," "Kentuckiginia," or "Kentuckiessee," I'm going to go out on a limb that it may be a cross between "Kentucky" and "Indiana." :D

Welpe Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 733894)
I'm guessing it's east of Texarkana.

"Is that in Texas or Arkansas?"

"Arkansas!....I think...?"

PG_Ref Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 733910)
"Is that in Texas or Arkansas?"

Maybe it's in Louisiana:confused:

SWMOzebra Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 733893)
Nevada, IA, is pronounced "Nu Vade uh."

This is also how Nevada, MO is pronounced.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43pm

The city of Portland Oregon is pronounced the same as Portland Maine. The city of Salem Oregon is pronounced the same as Salem Massachusetts. The city of Albany Oregon is pronounced the same as Albany New York. The city of Detroit Oregon is pronounced the same as Detroit Michigan. There's lots more. I think Oregon probably has the most cities named after other cities.

Unfortunately, there's no Las Vegas Oregon. :(

Rich Thu Feb 24, 2011 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 733918)
The city of Portland Oregon is pronounced the same as Portland Maine. The city of Salem Oregon is pronounced the same as Salem Massachusetts. The city of Albany Oregon is pronounced the same as Albany New York. The city of Detroit Oregon is pronounced the same as Detroit Michigan. There's lots more. I think Oregon probably has the most cities named after other cities.

Unfortunately, there's no Las Vegas Oregon. :(

There is an Oregon, Wisconsin. It's pronounced Or-uh-GONE. I just worked a game there a few weeks ago.

mbyron Thu Feb 24, 2011 01:54pm

Quote:

If I said I was moving to Philadelphia, would you ask if I meant Pennsylvania or one of the other more obscure Philadelphias?

Likewise, if the OP had said Columbus, I would've assumed Ohio (even though my home is in Columbus -- in WI).

Wait, what was the question? :p

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 24, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Philadelphia is near DeKalb Jct....a well known speed trap along US 11 near Watertown, NY.