The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see the game last night on ESPN. Just a very sloppy game by the officials. The calls wewre right, but in at least 3 situations late in the game a non-covering offical made the call. My philosopy is to et it right, but we hae officials in my association who wold get very upset at me making a call like those that happened last night.

One was on a drive that the trail called, from halfcourt that was right in front of the lead. the second when the lead ran up and called a double dribble that was right in front of the trail and he oher was a travel that the center called after the ball went into the backcourt and the trail was right next to the play.

Again, replays showed the calls were right, but I an imagine that there was some bad vibes in the officials locker room after the game.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'm betting this was their first game of the season, so let's go easy on them, okay? No one is in midseason form their first time out. I was marked off by a coach last year after our season opener. His complaint - I made two calls out of my area in the game.

BTW, niether of my partners could recall the two calls.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I am not being critical. My first scrimmage is tommorow and I am sure I am gong to need some time to get into the flow. It takes time to get confortable. I was just pointing it out and wondering if others saw these playes too. Again they got the calls rights and that is the bottom line.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the last 13 minutes, although I did listen on the radio. But I was speaking with my booking supervisor today and he made mention of the traveling call. He said that the call was definitely out of the calling official's area but at least the call was correct. Even so, it wasn't a good situation.

I'm just excited about these Carolina freshmen! At the very least, we'll win more than 8 games this year!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Stanford/Xavier Game

In this game in the closing seconds, Stanford was at the FT line with a 2 point lead. After the FT was made and Xavier was taking the ball out of bounds, the clock ran off like 2 seconds. Then they did not start the clock for another 3 seconds or so on the inbounding of the ball by Xavier. Xavier went down a scored to make the Stanford lead only 1 point, but not one official noticed the mistakes by the timer. Foruntately it did not become an issue in the outcome, but it might have been if seconds were an issue. The announcers noticed it when Xavier inbounded the ball, but did not see the clock start before that.

Basically, we all make mistakes. The problem when you are on TV, they are scrutinized much more.

Peace