The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6309-team-control.html)

mick Mon Nov 18, 2002 03:59pm

Geez !!?!!

Worked a Women's scrimmage game.
Called two PCs.
First one, I went up with a fist and then punched.
Second one, I went behind my head and then punched.

If there had been a third, I probably would have been cold-cocked. :cool:
<hr>
Practice, practice, practice.

rockyroad Mon Nov 18, 2002 04:24pm

Ain't it fun changing things!!! Had my first "real" game on Friday night...called a TC foul from C (for illegal screen) and did the fist up, then punch downcourt just like we're supposed to...only problem was the visiting coach was standing about 2 feet from me and I came awful close to hitting her square on the side of the jaw...apologized profusely, and she smiled and said she would make sure to stay back off the sideline from now on...of course, I T'd her about 5 min. later for screaming across the court at my partner "You're pathetic"... sigh...kinda makes me wish I had hit her...

JRutledge Mon Nov 18, 2002 04:42pm

Don' t worry Mick.

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Geez !!?!!

Worked a Women's scrimmage game.
Called two PCs.
First one, I went up with a fist and then punched.
Second one, I went behind my head and then punched.

If there had been a third, I probably would have been cold-cocked. :cool:
<hr>
Practice, practice, practice.

You will get used to it. It might take a few games, but it will happen.

Peace

Mark Dexter Mon Nov 18, 2002 04:56pm

Speaking of hitting people . . .

Anyone ever knock someone over the head while chopping in the time?

Not like I did that the other night or anything - just wondering . . .

:eek:

Nevadaref Tue Nov 19, 2002 02:51am

Rocky,
Why did you T her? Was your partner too pathetic that he/she couldn't even do this on his/her own?

Dibbs Tue Nov 19, 2002 08:10am

I hit a short cheerleader in the fore head on a 10 second count last year. Sent her into the bleechers.

Ref in PA Tue Nov 19, 2002 08:45am

I ran over a fan standing on the sideline - really laid the guy out. I was trail and a steal occurred right in front of me. The fast break started and I was running just out of bounds because the play was just inbounds. I am trying to stay ahead of the play with my head turned looking on the court. About ten steps down - POW! The guy went into the second row and I kept running (used to be a fullback in High School). The guy on the fast break with the ball pulled up and started laughing. The fan was alright. But it just is not the same as chopping or punching someone.

fletch_irwin_m Tue Nov 19, 2002 09:39am

I have run over a few coaches. Being tall helps in these collisions, because the coaches are usually displaced and steer clear. (or stear)
I have hit a coach before, but that's what they get for being right next to me!

Lotto Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:07am

In this year's interpretation meeting, when going over the new mechanic for the illegal elbow swing, they made an explicit point of making sure that no one is behind you...

rockyroad Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Rocky,
Why did you T her? Was your partner too pathetic that he/she couldn't even do this on his/her own?

Nope...I was just quicker...you gotta be fast to get the T in before me on a situation like that...

stripes Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:16am

I hit a shorter coach right in the throat the other day while at C on a 5 sec count--right in the Adams Apple. I about dropped him...shoulda swung harder. ;)

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:32am

You guys speak as if coaches were the enemy.....

Perhaps that is because coaches generally treat us as if we were the enemy.... Surely the majority of their losses are blamed on us, right?

A few years back had a cantankerous (long word meaning A-hole) coach jump up and scream at my partner "Isn't anyone keeping a 10 second count?" He had been riding us all game. I was right in front of him (probably 3 feet away) with the count. I turned and almost popped him in the face as I T'ed him. And then I said "and the count was 8."

ronald Sat Nov 30, 2002 05:29pm

Rocky was sticking up for his partner when he T'd the coach. That is a good partner in my b,ook. If you hear an unsporting comment directed at your partner and do not take action, then you do not have any guts and are pathetic. You are not making the game any better.

BktBallRef Sat Nov 30, 2002 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
You guys speak as if coaches were the enemy.....

Perhaps that is because coaches generally treat us as if we were the enemy.... Surely the majority of their losses are blamed on us, right?

A few years back had a cantankerous (long word meaning A-hole) coach jump up and scream at my partner "Isn't anyone keeping a 10 second count?" He had been riding us all game. I was right in front of him (probably 3 feet away) with the count. I turned and almost popped him in the face as I T'ed him. And then I said "and the count was 8."

:D

BigDave Sat Nov 30, 2002 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Rocky,

I've always been taught that we take care of each other. Partner may not have heard it. If a coach is riding my pard, I'll handle the punishment. :)