The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wreck Ball- How do you guys do it? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62947-wreck-ball-how-do-you-guys-do.html)

grunewar Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaMike (Post 732359)
I eventually found that I really hated doing rec league games at any age level and stopped working them years ago. I officiate because it is generally fun and I enjoy it; if it isn't any fun, why do it? However, I know many officials who continue to work rec leagues and tournaments every weekend, 15 or 20 games on a weekend at times. I find most of them don't enjoy it either but do it strictly for the money

I agree with this.

I do it because I still enjoy it. In one league I stopped doing some age groups because it became a pain in the a$$ and I wasn't enjoying myself.

I see allot of rec refs here who don't know the rules, don't hustle, and are just going through the motions for some extra $ - shame.

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 21, 2011 06:59pm

Rec ball is fun for me to do, just for the entertainment value of the spectators and coaches. It makes some of the nightmare HS girls games easier to do ....

Especially with player's dad that complains after the game that his boy never fouled out all year, yada, yada,yada(refs in that league must either not know how to call a charge or his opponents didnt know how to take one as we could of fouled him out on charges alone).

Looking forward to a tournament St. Patrick's weekend, usually a pretty collection of teams. When that tourns done, I get to look forward to playing golf before HS softball starts.

grunewar Mon Feb 21, 2011 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 732630)
Especially with player's dad that complains after the game that his boy never fouled out all year, yada, yada,yada(refs in that league must either not know how to call a charge or his opponents didnt know how to take one as we could of fouled him out on charges alone).

Similar incident for me a few yrs back.

League brings me in to do the chamionship game. Undefeated Team has run through the league all season. I called three charges on their "star" point guard in the first half. He just never figured out how to pull up and take that short five foot jumper. :rolleyes:

He fouled out mid-way through the third quarter......and they lost. Naturally, it was my fault. ;)

Victor74 Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:32pm

I officiate regularly adult rec league basketball. There are times where I ask why I even do it. The adults act like out of control kids at times and think they know the rules better than I as the official do. I had one even tell me that if I hear the foul I should call it. I've been told I'm blind or need glasses, but I've never been told to get a hearing aid.
I keep working this league to make the basketball better. My partners are not officials. So I not only have to call the game but have to teach on the spot my partner. I do a lot of coaching my partner on what it is to be an official. Otherwise, the players will begin to think I am not a legit official and the respect level will go down.
The players do show some respect. And through the years, it has become a better league to officiate. The level of play has increased and the flow of the game is more like an actual game.

BktBallRef Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 732456)
Right. And if I do fill in I normally get 2 reactions -- one, I'm the best official they've seen all year and, two, I don't take any crap.

Yep! Also, a lot of these coaches attend HS games, so they see us on a regular basis.

I was told by the scorer that the team I tagged with the T for pre-game dunking last Saturday has a history of comaplining and whining. Funny, I didn't hear a word out of them all game. :D

jTheUmp Tue Feb 22, 2011 09:54am

Depends on the level.

I do both youth (11U, 12U, 14U, 16U, and 18U) and adult wreck ball (18+).

The youngest kids are actually the easiest games to work, because at the youngest levels, the kids, coaches, and parents are more about just having fun. The 16U/18U games are tough, but I make it a point not to put up with any complaining. (It helps that our league has an "cursing is an automatic Technical Foul" rule).

Fortunately, I haven't had too many spoiled children in my adult games. Maybe it's the (as far as I know, actually enforced) "ejection = $50 fine + 1 game suspension" policy that helps on that end.

SNIPERBBB Tue Feb 22, 2011 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 732849)
Depends on the level.
The youngest kids are actually the easiest games to work, because at the youngest levels, the kids, coaches, and parents are more about just having fun.

Utopia has been found!!!!!!

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 22, 2011 08:06pm

And here is how you get there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 733185)
Utopia has been found!!!!!!

The Road To Utopia trailer