The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blarge in the Wisconsin/PSU game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62939-blarge-wisconsin-psu-game.html)

Rich Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:48pm

Blarge in the Wisconsin/PSU game

They didn't go double foul, either. Disappointing.

grunewar Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:50pm

So, they deemed one happened before the other and explained it to the coaches to their satisfaction?

Rich Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 732298)
So, they deemed one happened before the other and explained it to the coaches to their satisfaction?

No. It came out of the C's primary and the offensive player extended an arm and pushed the defender to the floor -- looked like a pretty easy player control foul. C pointed in the other direction while the trail came right in with a block signal. Announcers said that the one official "overruled" the other.

Friend/official is at the game. I called him right after. Asked me if I saw the blarge (of course, it's why I called). BTW, Bo Ryan was not happy.

Judtech Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:57pm

I thought on the men's side they HAD to go double foul. On the Lady's side we huddle together and one call prevails. Has the mens side now seen the errors of their way and done away with the "Dark Side"?:D

Rich Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 732307)
I thought on the men's side they HAD to go double foul. On the Lady's side we huddle together and one call prevails. Has the mens side now seen the errors of their way and done away with the "Dark Side"?:D

This shows the problem with that way of handling it, though. The block was oversold and the charge was called with a simple point, so the C ended up backing down on his, IMO, correct call. It was in his primary, too.

Judtech Sun Feb 20, 2011 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 732308)
This shows the problem with that way of handling it, though. The block was oversold and the charge was called with a simple point, so the C ended up backing down on his, IMO, correct call. It was in his primary, too.

Every Pregame "Double whistles are good, double prelimaries are not."

Camron Rust Sun Feb 20, 2011 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 732307)
I thought on the men's side they HAD to go double foul.

If it was block vs. charge, yes. But not if one of the fouls is illegal use of hands or push.

Rich Sun Feb 20, 2011 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 732329)
If it was block vs. charge, yes. But not if one of the fouls is illegal use of hands or push.

Huh? One official signaled a player control foul, the other a block -- both were for the same contact. Clearly square in the wheelhouse of having to go with a double foul.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 732330)
Huh? One official signaled a player control foul, the other a block -- both were for the same contact. Clearly square in the wheelhouse of having to go with a double foul.

Didn't see the play....if that is what you're referring to. It may well have been.

I'm commenting on the general case....

The case that establishes the ruling under discussion says that when a charge and a block are called, it is automatically a double foul. It doesn't say player control and a block.

A "charge" is a specific type of foul that is the direct counterpart to a block....where the contact results from one player running into the other and the foul is normally charged to one or the other based on who is responsible for the contact. It is a charge whether the player has the ball or not and need not be a player control foul at all.

The case doesn't cover any other type of player control foul (hold, illegal use of hands, push, etc.). For that matter, a player with player control could actually be guilty of a block in some cases where the defender is the one at risk of charging (think screening).

If one official calls a foul on a shooter for illegal use of hands for clearing out while the other calls a block for having a knee extended, those are two independent fouls. It may result in a double foul, but it is not because of the case.

APG Mon Feb 21, 2011 01:11am

I agree with Camron's take on the blarge. The blarge is a block vs. charge play. It just usually happens that the player has the ball. We don't see blarges on other block vs. charge plays because those are off ball and usually only one official is watching that action.

Rich Mon Feb 21, 2011 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 732360)
Didn't see the play....if that is what you're referring to. It may well have been.

I'm commenting on the general case....

The case that establishes the ruling under discussion says that when a charge and a block are called, it is automatically a double foul. It doesn't say player control and a block.

A "charge" is a specific type of foul that is the direct counterpart to a block....where the contact results from one player running into the other and the foul is normally charged to one or the other based on who is responsible for the contact. It is a charge whether the player has the ball or not and need not be a player control foul at all.

The case doesn't cover any other type of player control foul (hold, illegal use of hands, push, etc.). For that matter, a player with player control could actually be guilty of a block in some cases where the defender is the one at risk of charging (think screening).

If one official calls a foul on a shooter for illegal use of hands for clearing out while the other calls a block for having a knee extended, those are two independent fouls. It may result in a double foul, but it is not because of the case.

I think that you've made some good points here. In this case it was a blarge, no doubt.