The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Today I did my first ever boys varsity game. This is my 2nd year. It went well, but wow it is played at quite a pace compared to Girls or lower level Boys.

My partner is probably the best in our association, so that helped and I didn't do anything too foolish. One lesson I learned is to stay back a bit more. In one situation I moved close to the play in the key and a big kid ran into me. No harm but I decided it was better to stay farther after that. Get a better angle too.

The other thing that I noticed is the noise of the fans and the players (they actually talk at this level) and the coaches. You have to focus and not be distracted.

I had asked for your advice a while back about moving up as fast as I could or waiting longer. The consensus was to give it try. In our zone, there is a lack of officials and our assignor has received good comments about my work. Thus I am moving up pretty quickly. As some of you have mentionned, officiating is quite addictive!
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
As some of you have mentionned, officiating is quite addictive!
Congratulation! I love the Varsity games with the music so loud it vibrates the floor... All the fans yelling and cheering.... It's like the "Runner High".
Addicitive??? Yeah I think so too!
Before you know though the season's over and post season depression sets in, it's withdrawl time... You check yourself into RA! (Referee's Annonomous). At first it's tough having to stand up and introduce yourself.... "Hi.. I'm Just Curious and I'm a referee" Sure they applaud your recognition and your ok until the end of the evening when the newbies go through the electrical shock therapy.... But after a few seasons you'll even start to enjoy that too!
Best wishes for the rest of the season....

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 08:16pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Attaboy, Jay!
Have fun with it.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Congrats, Jay. I have to say I'm a bit jealous. I had to wait 6 years for my first Varsity game. Sounds like it was a good experience for you. Keep learning!
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Good job. Next time you get to work with the rookie :-)
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Jay --

Congrats on getting the game, and on doing well. When I grow up (ie get my first real varsity game) I want to be like you (except with cuter hair!)

Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys (and gals).

Another thing that was interesting is that this week there was a discussion about double fouls on this forum. What do you know, my partner called one during this game. I know some of you do not like the concept of double fouls, but it did the trick in this situation. Two guys were a bit rough in the post, I gave a verbal warning on one end. As they were getting to the other end, they started again and the lead called a double foul. It worked in this instance.

We've got our weekly association meeting tonight and the topic is fouls. Maybe the topic of double fouls can be addressed.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 12:52am
We don't rent pigs

A couple of observations:

1. As you mentioned, the pace is much quicker, so you must hustle to keep up. But other than that, I find varsity easier to call than anything at a lower level. In the first place the quality of play is higher, less silly mistakes, less whistles, a smoother, more enjoyable game for everyone. Also, the younger the players the more I find you must draw lines defining what you can and cannot call on a given night, rewriting the rules to fit the players, more or less.

2. The increased noise level you speak of I think of as a good thing. Best case scenario is a big crowd, evenly divided between the two teams. That way you get a big negative reaction from one side on EVERY call you make, which makes you less likely to second guess yourself. (I can't be wrong every time, can I?)

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 01:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Good job Jay.

I pray that you will have many more. I am sure this is only the beginning.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
(I can't be wrong every time, can I?)
Well, I don't know you, j.a.r., but theoretically, I can be wrong every time, I'm quite sure!