The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical Foul Free Throws (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62761-technical-foul-free-throws.html)

Mountain Dew Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57pm

Technical Foul Free Throws

We have a player technical and a coach technical, both on Team A. Thus, Team B is shooting 4 free throws. Can Team B substitute a player to shoot the free throws? Also, can Team B's coach pick 4 different players to shoot the free throws, or are they in a combination of 2?

eyezen Fri Feb 18, 2011 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Dew (Post 731629)
We have a player technical and a coach technical, both on Team A. Thus, Team B is shooting 4 free throws. Can Team B substitute a player to shoot the free throws? Also, can Team B's coach pick 4 different players to shoot the free throws, or are they in a combination of 2?

NFHS yes you can substitute a player in to shoot and yes you could potentially have 4 different shooters (Just remember that those subbed out cannot return until the clock has started, if there is ever a situation where to watch for that, this is it). NCAA you have to have the same shooter shoot both FTs of an individual T.

JRutledge Fri Feb 18, 2011 01:01pm

Anyone can shoot a T FT, including every available sub on the bench. So yes, you could have 4 different players shoot those FTs at the NF level. NCAA level you could only shoot with 2 different players per T sequence.

Peace

DesMoines Fri Feb 18, 2011 01:04pm

8-3 The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

GoodwillRef Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesMoines (Post 731636)
8-3 The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

I would ask the Coach, not the Captain.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 731650)
I would ask the Coach, not the Captain.

Any special reason why? The rule....R8-3 ..... says team captain or head coach.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 731653)

Because most captains aren't smart enough to know the options nor dumb enough to reply without asking the coach.

So, cut out the middleman.

APG Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 731653)

Why would we ask the captain when we are allowed to ask the coach?

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 731657)

Why would we ask the coach when we are allowed to ask the captain?:)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 731657)

Because, historically, The Captain is The Man, not the Head Coach. I do not have time to go into it now because MTD, Jr., and I are getting ready to go to our last H.S. game of the year.

MTD, Sr.

APG Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 731660)
Because, historically, The Captain is The Man, not the Head Coach. I do not have time to go into it now because MTD, Jr., and I are getting ready to go to our last H.S. game of the year.

MTD, Sr.

While that might of been true in the past, in reality, we now treat the coach as the head honcho. The captain now is more of a ceremonious position that we use sometimes to help with trouble players.

APG Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 731659)
Why would we ask the coach when we are allowed to ask the captain?:)

I'm asking the boss the questions rather than someone delegated to speak for him. :p

Adam Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 731662)
I'm asking the boss the questions rather than someone delegated to speak for him. :p

You're just begging for MTD's history lesson, aren't you? He'll be along later to educate us on the benefits of the buggy whip, telegraph, and prominence of the captain back in a time when the coach was a non-entity like modern day cheer leaders.

APG Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 731664)
You're just begging for MTD's history lesson, aren't you? He'll be along later to educate us on the benefits of the buggy whip, telegraph, and prominence of the captain back in a time when the coach was a non-entity like modern day cheer leaders.

Oh I know we'll be getting a history lesson in the near future. :D

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 18, 2011 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 731662)

I'm asking whomever closest to me. If that's the captain and he/she wants to discuss it with their coach, what's an extra 20 seconds to me? In the list of the top 100 things that matter during a game, this comes in around #2436 imo.

The only point I was trying to make was that you don't have to ask the coach. Hopefully that will be enough to forestall another 231,000 word filibuster from MTD Sr. on why historically we should ask the captain. But I'm not counting on it. :D