The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Does ball off backboard affect Goaltending/BI? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62561-does-ball-off-backboard-affect-goaltending-bi.html)

Matt S. Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20pm

Does ball off backboard affect Goaltending/BI?

Does a shot off the backboard-still on it's upward flight (layup)-that then gets blocked AFTER hitting backboard constitute a violation?

I've been told in NFHS, NO; NCAA, YES. Is this correct?

BktBallRef Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35pm

Yes, that's correct.

rsox34 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37pm

What you were told was correct.

Raymond Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 730512)
Does a shot off the backboard-still on it's upward flight (layup)-that then gets blocked AFTER hitting backboard constitute a violation?

I've been told in NFHS, NO; NCAA, YES. Is this correct?

In NCAA-M, yes, if the ball is above the level of the basket.

BillyMac Wed Feb 16, 2011 07:24am

Nfhs ...

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket.

mbyron Wed Feb 16, 2011 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 730519)
In NCAA-M, yes, if the ball is above the level of the basket when touched.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Raymond Wed Feb 16, 2011 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 730598)
Fixed it for ya. ;)

I don't think it needed to be fixed. The discussion is about a ball being blocked after it hit the backboard. I just added a neccesary element to the violation.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 16, 2011 09:52am

Well it does have to have a chance to go in. ;)

ThatOneRef Wed Feb 16, 2011 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 730630)
Well it does have to have a chance to go in. ;)

explain please

APG Wed Feb 16, 2011 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOneRef (Post 730857)
explain please

The simple fact that a player touches the ball after it hits the backboard does not make it goaltending.

NCAA

Rule 4
Section 34. Goaltending
Art. 1. Goaltending shall have occurred when a defensive player touches the ball during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met:
Exceptions: Rules 10-3.6; 10-6.1.i
a. The ball is in its downward flight; and
b. The entire ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder.

Art. 3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player.

ThatOneRef Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:14pm

never said it was goaltending, it dosnt make sense to be goal tending because the ball was still in an upwards motion, i wanted to know why it WOULD be goaltending if the ball still "had a chance to go in" but was in a upwards motion.

APG Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOneRef (Post 730911)
never said it was goaltending, it dosnt make sense to be goal tending because the ball was still in an upwards motion, i wanted to know why it WOULD be goaltending if the ball still "had a chance to go in" but was in a upwards motion.

Because by rule, once it contacts the backboard, above rim level, and with a chance to score, it is considered on its downward flight.

ThatOneRef Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 730913)
Because by rule, once it contacts the backboard, above rim level, and with a chance to score, it is considered on its downward flight.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. One more question tho.. lol
So it would be mostly a judgment call on whether or not it would go in?

APG Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOneRef (Post 730916)
Cool, thanks for the explanation. One more question tho.. lol
So it would be mostly a judgment call on whether or not it would go in?

Yes it would be a judgement call, but it's pretty obvious when the ball doesn't have a chance to score. Also note, that this rule is for NCAA and not for NFHS. Under NFHS rules, we still have to judge whether the ball is on it's downward flight off the backboard.

ThatOneRef Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 730918)
Yes it would be a judgement call, but it's pretty obvious when the ball doesn't have a chance to score. Also note, that this rule is for NCAA and not for NFHS. Under NFHS rules, we still have to judge whether the ball is on it's downward flight off the backboard.

sweet, THANKS! :D