The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6243-foul.html)

Troward Mon Nov 11, 2002 09:44am

Player A1 is on a breakaway and relseases the ball for a lay up. Player B1 is coming diagnoly at A1 from the opposite side of the lane to try to make a defensive play but he is too late. The players momentum from running carries them into each other and they collide under the basket - after the release of the ball. IS this a foul? Any tips to determine at what exact moment does the continuous motion of the shot end?
When I am in "button hook" position on the opposite side of the shot, I seem to no call this a lot, but a lot of officials seem to call it in the act of shooting.
Might the trail at half court, but on the side of the play have a better view of this play?

thanks for sharing your thoughts
GTW

mick Mon Nov 11, 2002 09:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by Troward
Player A1 is on a breakaway and relseases the ball for a lay up. Player B1 is coming diagnoly at A1 from the opposite side of the lane to try to make a defensive play but he is too late. The players momentum from running carries them into each other and they collide under the basket - after the release of the ball. IS this a foul? Any tips to determine at what exact moment does the continuous motion of the shot end?
When I am in "button hook" position on the opposite side of the shot, I seem to no call this a lot, but a lot of officials seem to call it in the act of shooting.
Might the trail at half court, but on the side of the play have a better view of this play?

thanks for sharing your thoughts
GTW

Has the shooter landed?
How much contact occurred?
Did shooter initiate contact?
Which player was in favorable position?

Kelvin green Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:32am

First off Mick has given you good advice.

By rule the airborne shooter is still in the act of shooting until he has comeback to the floor.

If he is back down on the floor, you would have to take a look at the amount of contact, If the ball is through the basket the ball is dead Cant remember exact wording but the rule talks about ignoring contact unless excessive or flagrant...

Second, Is this the kind of foul that everyone knows is foul? Call it! Is this the kind of foul that leads to retalliation? Call it! Call the Obvious. If you call this it wont happen many times in a game after that. Make it a no call and you'll have a ton more headhunting.

BY Button hook... I am assuming that you are actually trailing the play going to lead and you are on the defensive player's side. You can see the play develop and you know it's going to happen step more to the middle of the floor- Heck you'll only be across the paint from the colllision.

Now here is another thought. In a lot of areas the button hook is out. Refs get to the baseline to make this call. I have been taught by some very expereinced guys that if I can get to the baseline and across to the strong side to do it. Even an older guy like me can get there most of the time. I personally don't like seeing fouls on layups called from behind. I'd rather see the official at the baseline making the call or in the process of moving across baseline to make call.
If you button hook dont stop running. Most coaches will scream more at calling the play 15 feet behind it while stopped, than from across the paint at the baseline or closer to it and straightlined. The closer you are the better feel you'll have that it is a foul. You dont get that feel trailing the play.