The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bobbie Pins and the Splits (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62427-bobbie-pins-splits.html)

River Ref Sun Feb 13, 2011 09:47pm

Bobbie Pins and the Splits

Gosh I hate those things. Earlier this season I stepped on one and went skateing. I did the splits,then hit my head and elbow. The crowd got a good laugh out of it. I maintain they shouldn't be allowed.

Terrapins Fan Sun Feb 13, 2011 09:57pm

from a player? Or the stands?

River Ref Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:01pm

Player.........

grunewar Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:01pm

I'm not getting this one. Bobby pins are not allowed. Look hard before the game and get rid of em. Period.

I gotta tell you, I do allot of girls games and I look really hard for the hair devices. As I said in a thread earlier this week, I think they've made allot of strides in this area locally and I have little trouble with it anymore.

River Ref Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15pm

Allowed in Iowa

Nevadaref Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Ref (Post 729767)
Allowed in Iowa

Then Iowa doesn't adhere to the NFHS rule on this.

BktBallRef Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:23pm

Quote:

Allowed in Iowa

Then you need to complain to Iowa.

Or move. :)

grunewar Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25pm

Quote:

Allowed in Iowa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 729768)

Rule 3-5, Art 3.d. Strictly prohibits it in writing - no questions.

Bad Zebra Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Ref (Post 729749)
Gosh I hate those things. Earlier this season I stepped on one and went skateing. I did the splits,then hit my head and elbow. The crowd got a good laugh out of it. I maintain they shouldn't be allowed.

I'm kinda lost here...What are "the splits"? You mean like a gymnastic split? One bobby pin caused that?

Are you sure the bobby pin didn't come from a cheerleader?

jalons Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 729768)

Nor do they adhere to the restrictions on headbands.

"We will be adhering to Rules 3-5-3 and 3-6 regarding wristbands and headwear with the following exceptions. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands) must be soft and unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. Bobby pins and unadorned flat clips, no longer than two inches, will also be allowed. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be moisture-absorbing material. Lance Armstrong bracelets, rubber bands, etc., are still illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing."

River Ref Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49pm

What part of SPLITS don't you understand? It was a turn-over and my left heel caught a bobbie pin and down I went. Hurt like heck!

PIAA REF Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57pm

I have heard of states adding rules but haven't heard of them not following them. THat is news to me. In Pennsylvania we added the rule that you are not allowed to have a player inbound the ball infront of players. You have to move them to one side of the bench or the other. The reason is because a few years ago there was a fight in the state championship game that involved a incident when taking the ball out infront of the oppenents bench. This happened a few years ago but we still follow this rule.

Adam Mon Feb 14, 2011 01:08pm

Quote:

Allowed in Iowa

Based on what? State directive? If so, that must be a new development (within last 5 years or so).

Just read jalons' post. Wow. I would be sending a report to Boone and/or Des Moines (is this just the IGHSAU, or are the boys doing the same thing?) detailing the dangers of bobby pins flying out of the hair.

River Ref Mon Feb 14, 2011 01:09pm

In your inbounding case,could not a coach get upset if it is brought in at one particular end or the other of the opposing bench?