The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

assignments

Hi Fellow officials,

Three part question; do most associations have a formal way of earning varsity games (earn your name in the varsity bucket, ranking, feedback, etc.)?

do most associations give all those in the varsity eligible bucket @ the same number of varsity games or a minimum number? (assoc. less than 100 refs)

do you feel it is fair to work the same varsity team twice in eight days, three times in one month, tournament games (different teams) back to back nights?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
1) Our rankings appear to be informal, but I'm not sure.

2) The assignments are uneven depending upon "who at the top wants what game" (if you know what I mean), plus your availability, and number of games possible, reschedules, etc. Example, I worked V games every T/F night. If I had been available more I may have gotten more games. Guys available every night who are GOOD, will obviously get more games.

3) Depending on how big your association, number of qualified officials, availability, reschedules, etc. this could be more or less. We try to reduce assignments to the same school/team as much as possible, but, sometimes it just works out that way. This season I've had the same school twice in a week and four times this yr. They'll see me again in the fall too. The coaches want to know who their officials are - but not see us too often. We minimze it where we can. But, sometimes it's unavoidable.

That's the answer from my corner of VA......
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcolopy View Post
Hi Fellow officials,

Three part question; do most associations have a formal way of earning varsity games (earn your name in the varsity bucket, ranking, feedback, etc.)?

do most associations give all those in the varsity eligible bucket @ the same number of varsity games or a minimum number? (assoc. less than 100 refs)

do you feel it is fair to work the same varsity team twice in eight days, three times in one month, tournament games (different teams) back to back nights?
1- we have an evaluation system. It is 3 parts.
Part 1 is you Part 2 test score. ( up to 100 points )
Part 2 is you evaluations during games. ( up to 100 points )
Part 3 is points for meetings and other things that add up to 50 points total

You have to have ( I am guessing ) 180 points or more to do a play off game.

BTW, this is the first year we have used this system, that's why I don't recall it completely.

2- We use 15 officials max for the playoffs. ( We have about 50 officials )

3- I could and have done it without a problem. I am more worried about what the coach thinks. If I've had a problem with a coach, I might ask to be moved. Has not happened, though I did have a coach ask to have me removed from his game after I "T"ed him up.

I worked one school 21 times in a single season. ( Boys JV, Varsity, Girls JV and Varsity ). No problems at all, they were always glad to see me.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hi Fellow officials,

We do not have any "associations" that assign games. Not a factor in either case.

Quote:
I would rather only have a team no more than twice in a season. But that is not always realistic and not in everyone's control. I work for the different conferences where different people do the assigning for games and it sometimes just happens. Between all the tournaments, shootouts, regular season games and even post season we will have teams more than once. Even in our playoff system you can have a team multiple times straight. Not something I worry that much about anymore.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Down in this area,not sure what its like in other districts in Ohio, unless you have a league assigner, athletic directors get to pick who does the games. Non-league games of leagues with assigners, same deal AD picks the officials.

Which means as an official, unless you have a crew, you end up doing a lot junk games and good luck getting varsity games.