The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Tenn/Vandy women's game thrown elbow question

Did anyone watch this? Last couple minutes, Glory Johnson (TN) has the ball, Vandy player fouls her, whistle then Johnson throws an elbow. Why was it NOT called? Would you have called it in HS?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I saw the game. Vandy fouls,whistled and then the elbow smack. Commentators state that they are not sure what has been called and that it is under review. No T,just free-throws for the shooting foul by Vandy. During the next TO Summit gave her a reaming out and the player fouled out shortly afterwards. It should have been a T in my book.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
Yes, I saw the game. Vandy fouls,whistled and then the elbow smack. Commentators state that they are not sure what has been called and that it is under review. No T,just free-throws for the shooting foul by Vandy. During the next TO Summit gave her a reaming out and the player fouled out shortly afterwards. It should have been a T in my book.
Commentators said it was a "regular foul", but it was nothing, as it would have been her 5th. Also, the Vandy foul wasn't on the shot, but a double bonus. I'd have called it a T also, in HS, since it was a dead ball, I might have even called it flagrant. But that would be by HS rules. River, do you know the college rules regarding this situation?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Commentators said it was a "regular foul", but it was nothing, as it would have been her 5th. Also, the Vandy foul wasn't on the shot, but a double bonus. I'd have called it a T also, in HS, since it was a dead ball, I might have even called it flagrant. But that would be by HS rules. River, do you know the college rules regarding this situation?
Did it make contact? Was it moving? Was it moving excessively (as defined in the rules)? Was it above or below the shoulders? Did they review it?

(obviously, I didn't see the play)
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Did it make contact? Was it moving? Was it moving excessively (as defined in the rules)? Was it above or below the shoulders? Did they review it?

(obviously, I didn't see the play)
All of the above. I think. The camera didn't have the best angle, and the announcers were clueless, so I can't be 100% certain, but it sure looked bad. It was definitely a dead ball, and they did review it.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 09:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
All of the above. I think. The camera didn't have the best angle, and the announcers were clueless, so I can't be 100% certain, but it sure looked bad. It was definitely a dead ball, and they did review it.
You're saying they reviewed it and still didn't make a call? If so then I would think there was no contact.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't see the game but know who the crew was. I would give them more then the benefit of the doubt.