The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tenn/Vandy women's game thrown elbow question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62421-tenn-vandy-womens-game-thrown-elbow-question.html)

Juulie Downs Sun Feb 13, 2011 08:23pm

Tenn/Vandy women's game thrown elbow question

Did anyone watch this? Last couple minutes, Glory Johnson (TN) has the ball, Vandy player fouls her, whistle then Johnson throws an elbow. Why was it NOT called? Would you have called it in HS?

River Ref Sun Feb 13, 2011 09:26pm

Yes, I saw the game. Vandy fouls,whistled and then the elbow smack. Commentators state that they are not sure what has been called and that it is under review. No T,just free-throws for the shooting foul by Vandy. During the next TO Summit gave her a reaming out and the player fouled out shortly afterwards. It should have been a T in my book.

Juulie Downs Mon Feb 14, 2011 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Ref (Post 729741)
Yes, I saw the game. Vandy fouls,whistled and then the elbow smack. Commentators state that they are not sure what has been called and that it is under review. No T,just free-throws for the shooting foul by Vandy. During the next TO Summit gave her a reaming out and the player fouled out shortly afterwards. It should have been a T in my book.

Commentators said it was a "regular foul", but it was nothing, as it would have been her 5th. Also, the Vandy foul wasn't on the shot, but a double bonus. I'd have called it a T also, in HS, since it was a dead ball, I might have even called it flagrant. But that would be by HS rules. River, do you know the college rules regarding this situation?

bob jenkins Mon Feb 14, 2011 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 729873)
Commentators said it was a "regular foul", but it was nothing, as it would have been her 5th. Also, the Vandy foul wasn't on the shot, but a double bonus. I'd have called it a T also, in HS, since it was a dead ball, I might have even called it flagrant. But that would be by HS rules. River, do you know the college rules regarding this situation?

Did it make contact? Was it moving? Was it moving excessively (as defined in the rules)? Was it above or below the shoulders? Did they review it?

(obviously, I didn't see the play)

Juulie Downs Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 729887)
Did it make contact? Was it moving? Was it moving excessively (as defined in the rules)? Was it above or below the shoulders? Did they review it?

(obviously, I didn't see the play)

All of the above. I think. The camera didn't have the best angle, and the announcers were clueless, so I can't be 100% certain, but it sure looked bad. It was definitely a dead ball, and they did review it.

Raymond Tue Feb 15, 2011 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 730146)
All of the above. I think. The camera didn't have the best angle, and the announcers were clueless, so I can't be 100% certain, but it sure looked bad. It was definitely a dead ball, and they did review it.

You're saying they reviewed it and still didn't make a call? If so then I would think there was no contact.

Judtech Tue Feb 15, 2011 01:00pm

Didn't see the game but know who the crew was. I would give them more then the benefit of the doubt.