The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question Double Technical Foul - How many free throws?

Situation:

Player A (Team A) drives to the basket and is fouled before the shot(reach in foul), by Player B (Team B). The ref blows the whistle.

Player B responds with " that fuc*in bullsh*t" and gets a T.
in response to the T, player B adds more profanity and gets a second T. Player B is thus ejected from the game.

Player A goes to the line. How many free throws should he have? Does Team A retain possession?

Does the amount of free throws change if its a shooting foul and not a reach in?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

No such thing as a reach-in foul to start.

Since not a shooting foul.

Player from Team A shoots 2 FT's for first T.
Same or another player shoots the 2 FT's for the second T.

A's ball at the division line.

If the foul was a shooting foul, or in the bonus, those shots are shot before the Technical FT's are shot.

Again, no such thing as reach-in foul.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So Many Questions, So Little Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsicherry View Post
Player A drives to the basket and is fouled before the shot, by Player B. The ref blows the whistle. Player B responds with " that fuc*in bullsh*t" and gets a T. In response to the T, player B adds more profanity and gets a second T. Player B is thus ejected from the game. Player A goes to the line. How many free throws should he have? Does Team A retain possession? Does the amount of free throws change if its a shooting foul and not a reach in?
"Before the shot". Before the bonus, no free throws. If in the bonus, one and one for the player who was fouled, no rebounders along lane. If in the double bonus, two shots for the player who was fouled, no rebounders along lane. Possession at the division line (penalty for technical foul) in all three cases.

"Shooting foul". Two shots for the player who was fouled, no rebounders along lane. Possession at the division line (penalty for technical foul).

Four free throws for the technical fouls can be shot by anybody, even four different players, or substitutes.

Reaching in is not a foul. Maybe you mean illegal use of hands?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

While we know what you are saying when you say a "reaching" foul, know that it isn't a foul to reach. A defender could never steal the ball on the ball handler if he didn't reach for it.

As far as the play goes, assuming your playing under NFHS rules, then it would be four free throws for Team A, and a throw-in at the division line. If there's a foul in the act of shooting, then the free throws for the foul are shot first. Then the four free throws for the technical fouls, followed by a throw-in at the division line.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Slightly different situation, but I applied the rule properly yesterday when the "double T" happened in my game. Sad ending to a pretty good game.

Oh well. He had it coming. Thy protesteth too much!
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

okay so to sum up the replies correctly:

if Team B is not in the penalty then Team A gets 4 free throws and the ball.

if Team B IS in in the penalty then Team A gets a 1 and 1 and then 4 free throws and the ball?

I ask all of this, because this happened to me 2 nights ago. And the player on my team shot 6 straight free throws and we got the ball.

Was just checking to see if the ref who left this happen was huffing paint or if it was all legit.

p.s. i said reach in, because he reached in for the ball and hit him on the hand, but player A WAS NOT in the act of shooting. so yes non-shooting foul.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
okay so to sum up the replies correctly:

if Team B is not in the penalty then Team A gets 4 free throws and the ball.

if Team B IS in in the penalty then Team A gets a 1 and 1 and then 4 free throws and the ball?

I ask all of this, because this happened to me 2 nights ago. And the player on my team shot 6 straight free throws and we got the ball.

Was just checking to see if the ref who left this happen was huffing paint or if it was all legit.

p.s. i said reach in, because he reached in for the ball and hit him on the hand, but player A WAS NOT in the act of shooting. so yes non-shooting foul.
Yep, you got it.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If the defender reached in and hit the dribbler's hand while that hand was on the ball, by rule that isn't a foul.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

so the moral of this story is: if your team is up by 8 with under 35 seconds to go, do not commit a foul followed by a double t; as 6 made free throws and the ball can cause your lead to disappear pretty quickly.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Myths, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live With Them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
No such thing as a reach-in foul to start. Again, no such thing as reach-in foul.
"You know it sounds so nice, I've got to say it twice, New York, New York." (Johnny Winter)

Reaching in is not a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. The mere act of reaching in, by itself, is nothing. If illegal contact does occur, it’s probably a holding foul, an illegal use of hands foul, or a hand check foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 03:16pm.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Files Of The Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If the defender reached in and hit the dribbler's hand while that hand was on the ball, by rule that isn't a foul.
Jurassic Referee: Good catch.

It is legal use of hands to accidentally hit the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts.

Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost Only Counts In Horseshoes And Hand Grenades ...

Quote:
If Team B is in in the penalty then Team A gets a 1 and 1 and then 4 free throws and the ball?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yep, you got it.
Almost, but not quite there yet.

Team A does not get the one and one, the player on Team A who was fouled gets the one and one. Team A will get the four technical foul free throws, either players, or substitutes, maybe four different shooters.

Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:48pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Player B responds with " that fuc*in bullsh*t"
Anyone else have a flagrant T here?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Anyone else have a flagrant T here?
Yep, but my guess is it would have still been followed by more shenanigans and thus the 2nd T would have (possibly) resulted in an indirect on the coach.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yep, but my guess is it would have still been followed by more shenanigans and thus the 2nd T would have (possibly) resulted in an indirect on the coach.
Assuming we've notified the coach that the player is disqualified.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.