The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Would you handle it differently (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62415-would-you-handle-differently.html)

cmhjordan23 Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:26pm

Would you handle it differently

8th grade boys tournament championship. Really well played. Had OT. After the game both coaches said great job to both of us. Except for the fact I should have T'd up the winning coach. Can only stand using coaches box in Varisty, other than the obvious timeout or applauding a player. Losing coach didn't like the fact that he was arguing with us while standing up. My explanation to the losing coach was, yes he would argue a little. Didn't like a call or asks a question a sits right back down. I don't have a problem with that especially since I tell every coach that I don't mind questions, but I will not debate a call. I guess I don't think the coach warrants a T. Would anybody handle this differently?

eyezen Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 729661)
8th grade boys tournament championship. Really well played. Had OT. After the game both coaches said great job to both of us. Except for the fact I should have T'd up the winning coach. Can only stand using coaches box in Varisty, other than the obvious timeout or applauding a player. Losing coach didn't like the fact that he was arguing with us while standing up. My explanation to the losing coach was, yes he would argue a little. Didn't like a call or asks a question a sits right back down. I don't have a problem with that especially since I tell every coach that I don't mind questions, but I will not debate a call. I guess I don't think the coach warrants a T. Would anybody handle this differently?

Considering it's the rules of your league, remind, warn and I bet it doesn't get to whack. But of it does you have rules backing. Since it was a close game maybe something along the lines of "coach, dont give a reason for the other team to shoot FT's."

jeffpea Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:43pm

when you do not enforce the rules, you are giving one team an advantage (no matter what the situation is...).

Adam Sun Feb 13, 2011 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 729661)

1. I agree with the first to comments. The losing coach was correct.
2. Why in the world would you tell a coach that? In an 8th grade game? No way I'm inviting trouble like that.

bainsey Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 729712)
1. I agree with the first to comments. The losing coach was correct.
2. Why in the world would you tell a coach that? In an 8th grade game? No way I'm inviting trouble like that.

+1 (2, actually)

The losing coach is looking for fair treatment. It sounds to me like the losing coach is playing by the rules, and expects his counterpart to do the same.