The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 06:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Shirt wear & tear

Just looked at my new shirt from the beginning of the season. I rotate 3 of them and 2 are OC shirts from several years ago. They are doing great even after 7-8 seasons. The new one is showing signs of separation at the collar. It is from Honig's. What are others' experiences with shirts & different vendors? This is one of the gray ones. Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:35pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
The new one is showing signs of separation at the collar. It is from Honig's.
My experience has been similar this season with the Honig's gray. The shoulder seam started to separate (seam came unsewn) on one of the shoulder seams after about 6 wearings/washings. Planning on going with another brand next year and just having the patches sewn on locally.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

That is my plan. The shirt has not held up like it should. I will probably let them know about it. But I will find out if any other vendors sew on the patches before I order.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have two shirts, one Honig's and one Cliff Keen, both purchased through Honig's. I've had them for about six or seven years and they're both in good shape. I do think that the white stripes are getting a little dull and I will probably order two new ones next season.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 09:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

B/W okay. Gray, not so much.

I have a zebra I got through Honig's a few years ago with no issues. Where the shirt is coming off the collar upon closer inspection has the black stripe separating. I hang the shirt to dry. So, it hasn't gotten abused.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have never really liked Honigs striped shirts. When I started (late '80s), they had a nasty taper and not much length. They didn't come out, but they weren't near as long as I wanted. I thought their '90s era shirts were a bit on the small side. When they started making the newer fabric shirts 5-6 years ago, they were a year behind. One of their newer fabric football shirts has a collar roughly the consistency of sand paper.

Honigs has good gear in a lot of areas, but I avoid their shirts. I really like the Smitty product. OC, though pulverized on this forum, has also made a quality product, but they've had some minor issues (zipper on football shirts, over-sized, quality control on a batch). The striped OC side panel shirts from a few years ago are my favorite. Don't know if they make them anymore, but the panel fabric gives, which means the shirt stays tucked in with very little effort and no inside belt.

My advice is to stick with Smitty. I think they will emerge soon as a top tier supplier. Their fabrics are cool, comfortable, and have some stretch in them. For football next year, I'm optimistic they will make a pair of black pants that will be comfortable even in Texas in August.