The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Men's Block/Charge (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62130-ncaa-mens-block-charge.html)

stiffler3492 Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:34pm

NCAA Men's Block/Charge

Watching Duke/UNC, and there have been several PC fouls called when A1 is going up for a layup and B1 takes the charge pretty close to where that arc they were testing out would be.

I can't remember...did they implement any part of that arc rule? Does my question even make sense?

APG Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:36pm

Are you asking if they have the restricted area? If so, then yes, a secondary defender can not take a charge if they are located directly under the basket in men's NCAA.

jeffpea Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:27am

think of an island the size of a gatorade cooler lid or, by rule, the size of the basketball rim...then place it directly under the basket. you'll notice two things: 1) it's a very small area; and 2) contact w/ a secondary defender who is in the restricted area happens very rarely in a game.

when this play does happen (contact w/ secondary defender in restricted area) it is very obvious....i.e. - during a dunk, the illegal contact would happen AFTER A1 dunks the ball (because the defender is under the rim).

when they put the restricted area circle on the floor next year, you'll see how infrequently this play really happens...

letemplay Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:30am

Circle

Will it be same size/location as NBA?

APG Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 728555)

The restricted area is smaller in NCAA men then it is in the NBA.

letemplay Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:35am

Marking

And it will be designated on the floor and put into use next season? All NCAA levels?

APG Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 728558)
And it will be designated on the floor and put into use next season? All NCAA levels?

Don't think it has been decided yet, though I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I actually don't know why it wasn't put on the court in the first place in the name of consistency.

jeffpea Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 728555)

the NCAA restricted area is an 18in circle - which matches the exact dimensions of a basketball rim. (they did experiment in specific games w/ a 2ft circle).

the NBA's restricted area is a 4ft circle measured from the center of the basketball rim.

the differance in distance is pretty significant...the NCAA rules committee had this to say about increasing the distance in the near future:

"the committee is concerned that placing an arc on the floor too far from the basket (i.e. NBA arc) would create a seismic shift in the game that would potentially provide a significant advantage to the offensive team. "- 2010 Annual Mtg. Report, NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee, Pgs 1-2.

jeffpea Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 728558)

the reasons for NOT putting it on the floor immediately were two-fold: 1) undecided of exact distance that would enhance the game, and 2) the costs associated with altering game floors at the D2 and D3 levels.

yes, once they decide to put the arc on the floor, this rule and court marking will apply to all NCAA Men's Basketball levels...