The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in Spot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62060-throw-spot.html)

The_Rookie Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48pm

Throw in Spot

Hello,

Had a Vet I worked with recently, crtique me by saying that we never have a throw in on deep side line unless OOB situation.. Other situations..throw in from Base line.

Guidance please...thought it was nearest spot?

Raymond Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50pm

Basically we're talking about a non-shooting foul or violation that occurs near the endline outside of the 3-point line?

Yes, throw-in should be from sideline.

The_Rookie Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 727949)
Basically we're talking about a non-shooting foul or violation that occurs near the endline outside of the 3-point line?

Yes, throw-in should be from sideline.

He told me to move it to baseline not corner but on baseline..

Raymond Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:40pm

Then he is wrong. You can find this in the Official's Manual if you have one.

BktBallRef Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 727961)

If the violation occurs in the corner, it's a judgment call as to whether it goes to the endline or sideline.

I think he's suggesting that in order to be consistent on both ends, in such situations always go to the end line.

If it's further out from the corner, then it's easier to determine whether it's endline or sideline.

You never want to inbound the ball from the corner.

NoFussRef Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 727961)

Could tell him you know where the "endline" is but he would have to give you directions to the nearest baseline. :)

GoodwillRef Wed Feb 09, 2011 06:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 727982)
Could tell him you know where the "endline" is but he would have to give you directions to the nearest baseline. :)

Endline vs. Baseline...who cares...we all know what we are talking about. :confused:

APG Wed Feb 09, 2011 07:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 728024)
Endline vs. Baseline...who cares...we all know what we are talking about. :confused:

With other officials, I use end line. With players, coaches, and other laymen, I'll use baseline.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 727946)
Hello,

Had a Vet I worked with recently, critique me by saying that we never have a throw in on deep side line unless OOB situation.. Other situations..throw in from Base line.

Guidance please...thought it was nearest spot?

Why do anything except what the mechanics say, unless it is avoiding a safety or some kind of weird situation? Use the nearest spot.

Adam Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:51am

One of the early lessons we learn is that some vets have their own way of doing things that bear no resemblance to the proper mechanics. They can get away with it. I suggest you just smile, nod, and discard later.

Watch some varsity games with some of your top local officials, and see how they do it. If they're following his advice, email your assigner and ask what he/she wants. Don't throw anyone under the bus, just say you've seen and heard it done one way while the book says something else. It could just be a local quirk.

Indianaref Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:34am

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

justacoach Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 728089)

Trouble with this diagram is I've had some guys insist the inbound spots were limited to exactly where the arrows are pointing. Talk about OOO!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

bainsey Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 728029)
With other officials, I use end line. With players, coaches, and other laymen, I'll use baseline.

Why not just use "endline" all the time?

APG Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 728107)
Why not just use "endline" all the time?

Because it's just a lot easier. I don't want to have to explain what the end line is when everyone knows what the baseline is.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 728111)
Because it's just a lot easier. I don't want to have to explain what the end line is when everyone knows what the baseline is.

Who doesn't know what you mean when you say endline? Do people really not know?