The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   survey (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6206-survey.html)

just another ref Fri Nov 08, 2002 01:25am

How many here have/have not been told after a game:

1. "That was the worst calling I've ever seen."

2. "You are the worst official(s) I've ever seen."

3. you get the picture.......

I'm not talking about somebody shouting from the stands.
I'm talking about someone (not the losing coach) making a point of coming up to you to deliver this message. I personally have heard this more than once, but I also know others that have heard it as well. We can't all be the worst. The fans have no credibility.

dblref Fri Nov 08, 2002 07:12am

I usually hear this after every game, and then my wife makes me sleep on the couch. That's why I won't take her to any more games. :D

Tim Roden Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:27am

You think that was bad, you should have seen the game I called last night.

I couldn't be the worst official ever. That guy is telling my partner he is.

Dan_ref Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:37am

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden
You think that was bad, you should have seen the game I called last night.

I've used that one. On the flip side, if a coach tells
me "good call" I'll usually answer "I get one right per
game, and that was it." They usually smile, occasionally
not...

just another ref Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:51am

When they tell me "good call" or "you got one right" or whatever I like to say "It's that law of averages thing."

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
I've used that one. On the flip side, if a coach tells
me "good call" I'll usually answer "I get one right per
game, and that was it." [/B][/QUOTE]Good call!It pays to be honest with the coaches!

AK ref SE Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:53pm

Hey wait a minute! I thought I was the worst official in the world.....at least that is what this one parent told me!

AK ref SE

Troward Fri Nov 08, 2002 03:16pm

use video

I work at the subvarsity level and I frequently have my girl friend come to video tape my games so I can critique myself. People see me with her before the game and I speak with her briefly at half time - you would be amazed at how well behaved the fans near her are when they know they can be heard/seen on tape! One game I had her sit behind the scorers table to tape my reporting and so everything each coach said could be heard on film and there was not a peep out of the usually voicesterous coaches.

GTW

refjef40 Fri Nov 08, 2002 09:50pm

I have heard the worst game or your the worst and I always say thanks for the compliment!That along with a big smile usally makes them shake their head and shut up.

rainmaker Sun Nov 10, 2002 01:51am

I had a mother come after a game and tell me, "You are an embarrassment to women everywhere!" I went home and wrote it into my log!

zebraman Sun Nov 10, 2002 02:02am

<i><b>I had a mother come after a game and tell me, "You are an embarrassment to women everywhere!" </i></b>

No big deal unless it was your own mother. :-)

Z

rainmaker Sun Nov 10, 2002 02:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
<i><b>I had a mother come after a game and tell me, "You are an embarrassment to women everywhere!" </i></b>

No big deal unless it was your own mother. :-)

Z

When my mother came to one of my games, she told me afterward, "We were so proud of you honey, you did SUCH a good job." and then proceeded to describe a situation which I'm absolutely sure didn't occur in that game. Oh, well...

JRutledge Sun Nov 10, 2002 02:40am

Lame

If someone has not called you "the worst official I have ever seen," then you have not officiated long enough or you are not doing your job. It comes with the territory.

I had a football game a few weeks ago and after the game a fan came up to us and said, "that was the worst football game I have ever seen officiated and you are the worst officials I have ever seen." This guy's tone was so blah and monotone that it was funny. My crew joked that later and said he did not sound mad enough and could have put more feeling into his words. We were thinking that we should have told him, "You do not sound mad enough, you need to sound more upset. That was the lamest approach we have ever had, go back to the drawing board." Well that is what we wanted to say. I wanted to laugh in the man's face.

You gotta love this thing we call officiating. :)

Peace