The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Another Season In The Books and Question

Just finished with a 2-game JV set Friday. My knees are very glad to be finished and hopefully I can recover from the tendonitis that's been plaguing me all season.

For those of you who have done so, what criteria do you use to evaluate whether or not you'll return next season? I realize this is an individual decision and could be based on a number of factors, but I'm curious about how you base your decision.

For me it's amount of enjoyment (fun) during the games, camaraderie with fellow officials, doing something most folks can't imagine themselves doing, and level/type of games assigned.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Just finished with a 2-game JV set Friday. My knees are very glad to be finished and hopefully I can recover from the tendonitis that's been plaguing me all season.

For those of you who have done so, what criteria do you use to evaluate whether or not you'll return next season? I realize this is an individual decision and could be based on a number of factors, but I'm curious about how you base your decision.

For me it's amount of enjoyment (fun) during the games, camaraderie with fellow officials, doing something most folks can't imagine themselves doing, and level/type of games assigned.
I'd say that's a pretty good list.

I would also add physical condition...if you can do something about your tendonitis, decide if it is worth it to you to do so. I had to retire from the BB court a while back because the legs just couldn't take the pounding on the hard court anymore. I have stayed active in other sports where the physical demands are not as harsh on the legs and feet.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

(1) Determine how much I enjoy it
(2) Decide how much my body can handle - will my knees hold out another year
(3) Think about how many and what level games I got this year - assuming the next year is the same. At any point in time I have less Varsity games than I do JV or MS, I will hang it up as I will see it as a lack of confidence in me by my assigner.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Mon Feb 07, 2011 at 03:47pm.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have not even gotten to the health issue yet. I have had some issues this year, but I think I am a long way from something where that would be a factor. I also have more I want to accomplish from a post season stand point or level stand point. I think this is totally personal and why any of us keep officiating is on us. A long time ago I made some decisions that I think will make me enjoy each season. I set some standards that make me enjoy what I do as well. So I am not at the point to think about not coming back.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Of Above, Plus ...

Consider this past season's impact on your relationships with your family, your relationships with your non-officiating friends, and the impact on your day job.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)