The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rim stuck - When do you stop? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61933-rim-stuck-when-do-you-stop.html)

bucky Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:05pm

Rim stuck - When do you stop?

A1 attempts a dunk and the rim remains in a slightly downward position after he legally releases the rim. The defense, having gotten the rebound, heads the other way in an attempt to score. At what point, does an official stop play to have the rim adjusted back to its fully upright position?

JRutledge Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 726993)
A1 attempts a dunk and the rim remains in a slightly downward position after he legally releases the rim. The defense, having gotten the rebound, heads the other way in an attempt to score. At what point, does an official stop play to have the rim adjusted back to its fully upright position?

Rules do not cover this. This is up to the officiating crew to decide.

Peace

Adam Mon Feb 07, 2011 09:12am

I would do it when the team with the bent rim gets the ball again.

jeffpea Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35am

i would stop play immediately after the defense has obtained possession and they do not have an obvious fast break/scoring attempt.

ThatOneRef Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 727171)
I would do it when the team with the bent rim gets the ball again.

the reason you do this is to keep the team with the bent rim from having an advantage from clock/play stoppage to reset the rim. Snaq is correct

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:27pm

Would this be the same thinking as when, after a shot, the net flops up and hangs down into the basket?

grunewar Sun Feb 20, 2011 06:46pm

Instigator......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 732293)
Would this be the same thinking as when, after a shot, the net flops up and hangs down into the basket?

In my one Rec League we have several of officials who always kill the play to flip down the net. No matter how many times I ask, "Why? When's the last time a flipped net prevented a basket?" They just keep doing it..... :rolleyes:

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it get in a bathing suit!"

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 20, 2011 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 732295)
When's the last time a flipped net prevented a basket?

Saturday, February 5, 2011. It was in a game I was watching just before I started my shift.

grunewar Sun Feb 20, 2011 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 732323)
Saturday, February 5, 2011. It was in a game I was watching just before I started my shift.

Well, I've never seen it, and even if I ever do, I'm still not stopping my game as a matter of routine.

APG Mon Feb 21, 2011 01:38am

I MIGHT stop play the first time it happens. I'm definitely not going to do it multiple times. If it happens more than once, then either a player will throw it at the basket before taking it out of bounds, or there's someone on the bench nearby who will knock the net back down while we're in the frontcourt. If I have game magnament for the game, then I'll just motion for them to take of it while we have action in the frontcourt.

Adam Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 732325)
Well, I've never seen it, and even if I ever do, I'm still not stopping my game as a matter of routine.

Me neither. No way it actually prevents a basket unless it really tight. If it happens regularly, I'll have GM replace the net at the quarter break.