The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A couple of firsts for me. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61787-couple-firsts-me.html)

Thumper68 Sat Feb 05, 2011 09:07am

A couple of firsts for me.

A couple of firsts for me last night. Had a assignment at a small private christian school. First time at that school. It had a really small court complete with retraining lines and ( I don't know the correct name for it) 3 line division line. When a team was coming out of back court they were required to cross the division line, then could retreat back to a red line at the top of the free throw lane. We had no back court violations, or issues with the restraining line.

This was two man mechanics and I turned out to be the more experienced official. I am a first year official and this was game # 21 for me this year. My partner was working his fifth game of the year. We designated me as the 'R" and off we went. I have been the "R" 4 times before when some more experienced partners let me do it for the experience. I was a little apprehensive last night, because in the past I always had someone I could lean on if they was a problem. This was called a GV game and by definition it was, but by player skill level it closer to an 8th grade game. Fans were great (about 30 of them in attendance), coaches and players very respectful and calm. I had designed home book as "official" and all was good at beginning of the game. Each team had 7 players in the book and on the floor during warm ups. I checked the book at half time and had a score discrepancy. Scoreboard showed 48-18 in favor of H, but book had it @ 37-18. Checked visitors book and it agreed with the scoreboard. Designated visitors book as "official" and played the second half with no issues.

I do have a question as well. When working as lead in a small gym like this I found it hard to get good angles as the wall was two feet from the end line. How does one get the best position in this situation?

Thanks for listening.

Butterfly182310 Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper68 (Post 726378)
...had a really small court complete with retraining lines...When working as lead in a small gym like this I found it hard to get good angles as the wall was two feet from the end line. How does one get the best position in this situation?

It's been a long time since I've worked a small court like that. When there is play or a drive in close to the hoop, I found it best to keep wide rather than close down. Taking a couple steps onto the court will give you an angle to see through the play. It also gives you a better panoramic view on rebound activity rather than standing on the endline near the bucket, and possibly getting your own "clock cleaned".

Rich Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:16am

Quote:

I do have a question as well. When working as lead in a small gym like this I found it hard to get good angles as the wall was two feet from the end line. How does one get the best position in this situation?

It's tough, but you just have to work wider much of the time and really move to get looks, even if it pulls you into the lane or onto the floor.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:10am

Quote:

Scoreboard showed 48-18 in favor of H, but book had it @ 37-18.

Is that a typo, or was there really an 11 point discrepancy? That seems awfully large.

BillyMac Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:09pm

New Part Time Job ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 726411)
Was there really an 11 point discrepancy? That seems awfully large.

Tim Donaghy was the scorekeeper.

Thumper68 Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 726411)
Is that a typo, or was there really an 11 point discrepancy? That seems awfully large.

It really was an 11 point discrepancy. Home scorekeeper was a student and she said that she was ill. Visitors scorekeeper was an adult as was the scoreboard/clock operator. I was a little shocked to say the least and had a split second thought of "oh crap", but I read this board daily so designating the visitors book "official" came into my mind immediately after that and I went with it. I know the timekeeper keeps score books for other area teams and I thought that he was most likely correct on the board.

Thumper68 Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 (Post 726385)
It's been a long time since I've worked a small court like that. When there is play or a drive in close to the hoop, I found it best to keep wide rather than close down. Taking a couple steps onto the court will give you an angle to see through the play. It also gives you a better panoramic view on rebound activity rather than standing on the endline near the bucket, and possibly getting your own "clock cleaned".

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 726395)
It's tough, but you just have to work wider much of the time and really move to get looks, even if it pulls you into the lane or onto the floor.

Thanks guys. In the second half I did start staying wider, but I never came onto the court. I have a game back at that gym next week. I will give this tips a try.

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34pm

Having worked a HS gym like that, you really do need to stay wide as lead. And as trail, you really have to help on stuff down low on your side. Especially if the end line is less than a foot from the wall.