The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What would you do? (Throw-in violation?) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61702-what-would-you-do-throw-violation.html)

McMac Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:30pm

What would you do? (Throw-in violation?)

B-MS game tonight. Made basket, player goes OOB throws ball onto court, but was looking directly at me when he threw it in, like he was intending for me to get it. I was positioned OOB still. I hold position, not going for the ball.

Throw-in-er (if that is a word) went to get ball, at which point I called a violation for being the first to touch a throw-in without being "touched or legally touched by another player."

In my mind, if a player is going to toss me the ball after a basket:
A: Coach needs to teach them that they don't need to do that.
B: Actually toss it to me, not in my general direction onto the court.

What is your opinion?

BktBallRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44pm

If he tosses it to me, I bat it back to him.

If he throws it inbounds, somebody else better get it first.

BTW, he's the thrower.

centkyref Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 725976)
If he tosses it to me, I bat it back to him.

If he throws it inbounds, somebody else better get it first.

BTW, he's the thrower.

+1. Also keep the count going while I'm batting it back to him

BktBallRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by centkyref (Post 725979)
+1. Also keep the count going while I'm batting it back to him

I don't think there's rule support for that.

I'm not counting until the actually throw-in begins. And if a middle schooler tosses the ball to me, the throw-in hasn't begun.

centkyref Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58pm

If ball is at his disposal? What if he gathers the ball, steps OOB, hesitates a second (or two) then tosses at you? Not trying to be combative, just going through the exercise:)

BktBallRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by centkyref (Post 725982)
If ball is at his disposal? What if he gathers the ball, steps OOB, hesitates a second (or two) then tosses at you? Not trying to be combative, just going through the exercise:)

You can't have it both ways. You either have to let it go and not touch it when he throws it toward you or bat it back to him and begin your count.

centkyref Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16pm

Okay, let me twist it a little bit...Team A scores and ball is bouncing around under the basket. B1, recognizing that A is pressing screws around a little bit before getting the ball so that he can set up a press offense. He messes around to the point that you judge the ball is at his disposal and begin a count. Recognizing this, he scoops the ball to you to try to get the count started again. (B1 is smart:D)

Do you bat it back to him and restart the count, let it go bouncing into the yonder while continuing the count, or bat it back to him while continuing the count?

I know this is a little far out, but that's the fun part.;)

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 04, 2011 06:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmac (Post 725975)
b-ms game tonight. Made basket, player goes oob throws ball onto court, but was looking directly at me when he threw it in, like he was intending for me to get it. I was positioned oob still. I hold position, not going for the ball.

Throw-in-er (if that is a word) went to get ball, at which point i called a violation for being the first to touch a throw-in without being "touched or legally touched by another player."

in my mind, if a player is going to toss me the ball after a basket:

What is your opinion?

ooo

referee99 Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:27am

Ask yourself...

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 725975)
B-MS game tonight. Made basket, player goes OOB throws ball onto court, but was looking directly at me when he threw it in, like he was intending for me to get it. I was positioned OOB still. I hold position, not going for the ball.

Throw-in-er (if that is a word) went to get ball, at which point I called a violation for being the first to touch a throw-in without being "touched or legally touched by another player."

In my mind, if a player is going to toss me the ball after a basket:

What is your opinion?

..... did the player in question make a throw-in? Or something else?

letemplay Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37am

It's middle school, man. Kill it and get the kid straight on what he needs to do.

APG Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 726124)
It's middle school, man. Kill it and get the kid straight on what he needs to do.

When these type of situations happen (player not stepping out of bounds, player's foot in bounds, etc), I'm in the camp of calling it right away especially at the middle school level. Call it once and you better believe they won't violate again.

BillyMac Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46pm

You Could Look It Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 725975)
Throw-in-er (if that is a word)

No, it's not. The correct term is throw-er-in-er. Noah Webster was born here in Connecticut, I drove by his house on the way back from a game last night, so all Connecticuters think that they're all expert lexicographers.

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 04, 2011 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 726158)
No, it's not. The correct term is throw-er-in-er. Noah Webster was born here in Connecticut, so all Connecticuters think that they're all expert lexicographers.

Do you call the local hot moms Connecticuties? :)

BillyMac Fri Feb 04, 2011 04:08pm

The Suffix Is The Key ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 726230)
Do you call the local hot moms Connecticuties?

That's correct. The officials are the Connecticuters. The hot single moms are the Connecticuties.