The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 02:28pm
Back from the DL

Earl:

Do those figures include post-season games, too?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 02:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Earl:

Do those figures include post-season games, too?
No, post season is more. Don't have the exact figures.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Southern California Rates

Man that's tough for the kids! I too am rooting for our Louisiana brothers and sisters.Our formula for pay is kind of complicated but here it is for comparison.

BASKETBALL
A. Varsity Game (3 Officials Assigned) $66
B. Varsity Game (2 Officials Assigned) $70
C. Varsity Game (1 Official Assigned) $81
D. Non-Varsity Game (2 Officials Assigned)$59
E. Non-Varsity Game (1 Official Assigned) $68

CIF-SS PLAYOFF FEES ROUNDS - $79 (2 officials)/$75 (3 officials) FINALS - $87(2 officials)/$83(3 officials)

3-man is mandatory here with the quarterfinals onward.

Travel:

A. A flat fee will be used to compensate officials for round-trip travel based on the following scale:
51 - 75 miles = $12.00
76 - 125 miles = $18.00
126 - 175 miles = $30.00
176 - 250 miles = $42.00
251 - 350 miles = $54.00
351 - 450 miles = $72.00
451 miles and above = For distances beyond 450 miles, the following formula will be utilized:
Begin with $72.00, which represents 450 miles round trip
Add $2.40 for every 15 additional miles traveled round trip
Example: 525 miles round trip = $72.00 (First 450 miles)
additional 75 miles = $12.00 (75 divided by 15 = 5, multiplied by $2.40)
Total mileage reimbursement = $84.00

B. The origination point for official’s mileage will be determined in the following way:
1. Regular Season - From the official’s home residence within the assignment area, to the location of their contest.Officials who live or work outside their assignment area will only be compensated for mileage from the point they enter their assignment area. All officials are entitled to mileage if they drive separately to contests.

2. Playoffs - From the location of the meeting place for the officials association.
Note: For playoffs only, mileage will be paid to the Head Official of all officiating crews in all sports.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Tue Feb 01, 2011 at 03:05pm.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Man that's tough for the kids! I too am rooting for our Louisiana borthers and sisters.Our formula for pay is kind of complicated but here it is for comparison.

BASKETBALL
A. Varsity Game (3 Officials Assigned) $66
B. Varsity Game (2 Officials Assigned) $70
C. Varsity Game (1 Official Assigned) $81
D. Non-Varsity Game (2 Officials Assigned)$59
E. Non-Varsity Game (1 Official Assigned) $68

CIF-SS PLAYOFF FEES ROUNDS - $79 (2 officials)/$75 (3 officials) FINALS - $87(2 officials)/$83(3 officials)

3-man is mandatory here with the quarterfinals onward.

Travel:

A. A flat fee will be used to compensate officials for round-trip travel based on the following scale:
51 - 75 miles = $12.00
76 - 125 miles = $18.00
126 - 175 miles = $30.00
176 - 250 miles = $42.00
251 - 350 miles = $54.00
351 - 450 miles = $72.00
451 miles and above = For distances beyond 450 miles, the following formula will be utilized:
Begin with $72.00, which represents 450 miles round trip
Add $2.40 for every 15 additional miles traveled round trip
Example: 525 miles round trip = $72.00 (First 450 miles)
additional 75 miles = $12.00 (75 divided by 15 = 5, multiplied by $2.40)
Total mileage reimbursement = $84.00

B. The origination point for official’s mileage will be determined in the following way:
1. Regular Season - From the official’s home residence within the assignment area, to the location of their contest.Officials who live or work outside their assignment area will only be compensated for mileage from the point they enter their assignment area. All officials are entitled to mileage if they drive separately to contests.

2. Playoffs - From the location of the meeting place for the officials association.
Note: For playoffs only, mileage will be paid to the Head Official of all officiating crews in all sports.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"WTF" (Sarah Palin) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
724825]
Agree. One varsity official assigned? I can see an agreed upon fee for only having one varsity official (schedule error, human error, car accident, injury, sickness, etc), ours is 150% of a game fee. We will occasionally assign only one official to a 3:30 p.m. middle school game, or 4:00 p.m. freshman game, but that's due to the lack of available officials for midafternoon games (most of us have day jobs). As far as I know we always have two officials (remember, it's Connecticut) assigned for all high school varsity, and junior varsity games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 01, 2011 at 06:24pm.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen a situation where one official is assigned to a varsity games.My best guess is that it is an emergency rate (somebody gets sick or something of that nature).
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
An update

LHSAA meeting set on officials' work stoppage - NOLA.com From New Orleans

Basketball officials meeting with panel | Sports | 2theadvocate.com — Baton Rouge, LA From Baton Rouge
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

I read the articles. Love this quote:

Quote:
And Mandeville Principal Bruce Bundy, who will represent the Hammond Association today, said he had heard some principals complain that the level of officiating had not improved despite the last pay raise, although he personally voted for the measure.
Who the hell are the principals to determine if the "officiating has improved?" 99% of HS principals have no idea what it takes to officiate (the other 1% are officials themselves).
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I read the articles. Love this quote:

Who the hell are the principals to determine if the "officiating has improved?" 99% of HS principals have no idea what it takes to officiate (ofthe other 1% half are are officials themselves, the other half are coaches who THINK they know the rules).
It's wrong .... tried to fix it the way it should read
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 10:21am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Wonder how many principals got a raise since 2007?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Are there enough officials to cover the games (including the effects of new officials joining, or not, the ranks) at $31? If so, then it's a fair price.
That's the purpose of a strike, to ensure that there are NOT enough officials to cover the games. Then, the price will go up.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

This part of the article is good, too:

Some principals cited economic issues, which have led to lagging attendance, as one reason the pay hikes were voted down. That vote, coupled with the passage of a proposal by Glueck on behalf of Baton Rouge principals that would require basketball officials associations to provide two-person crews instead of previously mandated three-person crews for nondistrict and tournament games has complicated the issue.

“It’s tough for me, because I’ve been on both sides of this,” Alexander said. “I’ve been and official and I’ve been a principal, too.

“During the last 15 years or so the level of play for boys and girls basketball has improved. The players today are more athletic and the game is faster. The idea behind a three-man crew is to compensate for that.”

Bastrop’s Bryan Greenwood, president of the Louisiana High School Officials Association, said going from three-person to two-person basketball crews — even for some games — leads to a deeper issue.

“If basketball officials wanted to make more money, they could go call middle school or youth league games and do that,” Greenwood said. “Most of us call high school games because we love doing it.

“By the same token if you hire a plumber you can’t tell him, ‘Sorry, I can’t afford to pay you as much as other the other plumbers out there.’ ”

If officials make more money working middle school and youth league games, then the schools need to sit back and realize they simply don't pay their officials well enough.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Don't Be A Plumber" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
“By the same token if you hire a plumber you can’t tell him, ‘Sorry, I can’t afford to pay you as much as other the other plumbers out there.’ ”
Is this the analogy that you really wanted to use? Or, did you really want to sue it? You sly dog.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is this the analogy that you really wanted to use? Or, did you really want to sue it? You sly dog.
I do not see why not.

Cause if you do not pay the plumber you will leave a lot of crap behind. Some goes for the fees for officials.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:30pm
We don't rent pigs

This thing is taking a lot of turns. Got a call yesterday morning to go call some games today out of our normal area. Got another call an hour later saying there were threats of trouble if we went out of area so we weren't going to go.
This morning got another call saying forget the threats, some other guys called out of area last night, so no big deal, got another long distance assignment for today. Got another call a few minutes ago saying there's a meeting going on now in which they're trying to say that any games played with officials that crossed lines won't count, so the deal's off again.

Lonesome Dove