The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Toughest blind spot...two man. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61420-toughest-blind-spot-two-man.html)

MelbRef Sat Jan 29, 2011 05:33pm

Toughest blind spot...two man.

As I alternate between working two and three man officiating, I better appreciate the full coverage that three man allows.

Question:
What is the toughest blind spot that you experience in two-man.

For me it's (as Lead) watching a contested 3-point shot in the corner, and missing all the pre-rebound activity in the paint.

Other thoughts?

SNIPERBBB Sat Jan 29, 2011 05:37pm

Almost anything dealing the a play going away from you. Especially travels going away from you.

Adam Sat Jan 29, 2011 06:35pm

Traps up high along the Lead's sideline.

High post action on Trail's side of the paint.

When lead goes strong side, the ball that squirts out on his sideline.

Welpe Sat Jan 29, 2011 06:40pm

Snaqs nailed my top three. The trap up high is probably the toughest for me.

I can't wait to start working three whistle.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 29, 2011 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 723298)
As I alternate between working two and three man officiating, I better appreciate the full coverage that three man allows.

Question:
What is the toughest blind spot that you experience in two-man.

For me it's (as Lead) watching a contested 3-point shot in the corner, and missing all the pre-rebound activity in the paint.

Other thoughts?

When the T, I really dislike that FC spot about 5' through 12' from the DL along L's sideline.

True story: doing a JV final years ago, and there was a trap at this spot. I'm T and players' backs are to me. Ball goes OB and my P, the L, is in a horrible spot to help. I don't think it even occurred to him to help. So I make the call to the best of my ability - after looking to the L for help. I later learned that I made the wrong call. I really hated that I made an incorrect call in a city final.

After the case above, I now rotate to the other side of the court when I can't see the trap and backs are to me.

Edit: just saw that Snaq doesn't like this spot either.

Adam Sat Jan 29, 2011 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 723345)
When the T, I really dislike that FC spot about 5' through 12' from the DL along L's sideline.

True story: doing a JV final years ago, and there was a trap at this spot. I'm T and players' backs are to me. Ball goes OB and my P, the L, is in a horrible spot to help. I don't think it even occurred to him to help. So I make the call to the best of my ability - after looking to the L for help. I later learned that I made the wrong call. I really hated that I made an incorrect call in a city final.

After the case above, I now rotate to the other side of the court when I can't see the trap and backs are to me.

Edit: just saw that Snaq doesn't like this spot either.

:D IAABO actually lists, as a mechanic, a trail initiated rotation in 2-man for this trap situation.

mbyron Sat Jan 29, 2011 07:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 723354)
:D IAABO actually lists, as a mechanic, a trail initiated rotation in 2-man for this trap situation.

Not a bad idea IMO, but what we baseball umpires call an "advanced mechanic."

Adam Sat Jan 29, 2011 08:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 723357)
Not a bad idea IMO, but what we baseball umpires call an "advanced mechanic."

Agreed, I wouldn't do it without pregaming it; and I wouldn't pregame it unless I had a more experienced partner in the 2-man game.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 29, 2011 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 723354)

I was once an IAABO official, but even then, I was one of a few in my LA.

Nowadays, I ask partners ahead of time if we can meet ahead of time for a pre-game. I can't imagine not doing one.

Adam Sat Jan 29, 2011 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 723363)
I was once an IAABO official, but even then, I was one of a few in my LA.

Nowadays, I ask partners ahead of time if we can meet ahead of time for a pre-game. I can't imagine not doing one.

Everyone here is an IAABO official. IAABO isn't our governing body, but it's essentially our licensing body. To work hs games in CO, you have to be an IAABO official.

grunewar Sat Jan 29, 2011 08:19pm

Some good one's Snaqs.

The two I always try to remember when going back to 2-man are:

As L, watch the 3-pointers on my side when the game first starts. After that I get used to it again.

Also NOT to stand tableside when administering the FT.

Adam Sat Jan 29, 2011 08:27pm

Ah, transition troubles; as in transition from 3 to 2. As L I tend to forget that three pointer in my corner, as well as the sideline.

With IAABO, there's no difference on FTs. We still switch on all fouls (2 man) and the trail is still opposite the table all the time. Same as the L/C in 3.

BillyMac Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:49am

Need Help From Partner ...

Quote:

What is the toughest blind spot that you experience in two-man.?

As lead, balls being passed, or deflected, out of bounds, across the basketline, coming from trail's primary. Same with balls being passed, or deflected, that come from trail's primary, but go out of bounds on my sideline. I ask for help on these plays more than any others.

BillyMac Sun Jan 30, 2011 04:59pm

How Do You Work This Blue Font Thingy ???

Quote:

What is the toughest blind spot that you experience in two-man?

I always have major problems calling fouls, and violations, outside of my primary coverage area. I don't know how they do it, but over the years, I've had a few partners who are really, really, good at this. I guess that they're what you call experts.

gslefeb Sun Jan 30, 2011 07:41pm

Trail - ball in front court near division line, trail side. Trail watching ball (A1 and B1). The high pick (A3 screening for A2) near elbow - trail side. Tough call for trail (watching ball); Touch call Lead watching through players.