The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Belts Really??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61340-belts-really.html)

VaTerp Tue Feb 22, 2011 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 732665)
It's also been quite a few years since NCAA used 2 officials, but in high school it's still quite prevalent. What's one got to do with the other?

The point I was making was very clear if you don't leave out the sentene before the part you decided to quote. "This is for those who suggest that the beltless look is a cyclical and arbitrary phenomenon."

And 2 person crews in HS is entirely about $$$. So, yes, what does one have to do with the other?

APG Tue Feb 22, 2011 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 732665)
It's also been quite a few years since NCAA used 2 officials, but in high school it's still quite prevalent. What's one got to do with the other?

I don't think the two compare. Two vs. three officials is almost always due to the monetary reasons. We have no control over this. Belted vs. sans a belt is something the officiating community has control over. And from what I've seen and read, it's a near unanimous adaptation of sans a belt save for some parts in Louisiana (or so it seems).

Adam Tue Feb 22, 2011 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 733013)
I don't think the two compare. Two vs. three officials is almost always due to the monetary reasons. We have no control over this. Belted vs. sans a belt is something the officiating community has control over. And from what I've seen and read, it's a near unanimous adaptation of sans a belt save for some parts in Louisiana (or so it seems).

There are other similarly isolated areas where it's accepted (at least until about 3 seasons ago).

just another ref Tue Feb 22, 2011 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 733021)
There are other similarly isolated areas where it's accepted (at least until about 3 seasons ago).

Similarly isolated?? What does that mean? Oh, you mean like Connecticut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 722943)
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we have a choice of wearing belted, or beltless, pants. Nobody is encouraged, or discouraged from either. Connecticut is a very liberal state.

Adam Tue Feb 22, 2011 05:34pm

Nope, I was thinking of my previous locale. I've never even so much as seen Connecticut soil from across a river.

APG Tue Feb 22, 2011 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 733122)
Similarly isolated?? What does that mean? Oh, you mean like Connecticut.

Still doesn't mean it isn't isolated compared to the rest of the nation. I'd venture to say if we took a poll (YES a poll! :D), the overall majority would say that sansabelt is either mandated or de facto mandated.

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 22, 2011 05:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 733126)
Nope, I was thinking of my previous locale. I've never even so much as seen Connecticut soil from across a river.

Up north in VT, it was about 50/50 on the belt front. That was 2 years ago. There were guys who used belted that worked state finals. People get more grief using the gray shirts than belts.

Adam Tue Feb 22, 2011 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 733130)
Still doesn't mean it isn't isolated compared to the rest of the nation. I'd venture to say if we took a poll (YES a poll! :D), the overall majority would say that sansabelt is either mandated or de facto mandated.

Yep, and my previous association, where the local board president would wear a belt, was in the same state as my current group, where we get very direct instructions that belted pants aren't acceptable at the high school level.