The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I hear this stuff in the NBA, but you shouldn't really concern youself with the time on the clock when you call a foul, right? Here's the situation, granted it was in a adult mens league play...I whistled a legit foul with .06 seconds on the clock. It was a one-on-one situation A1 fouls B1 on the arm as he attempted a shot going to the basket. Team A had lead by as many as 20+ points early in second half, but Team B came back to take the lead then was down by one when the foul occurs. B1 makes both freebies and they win by one. Afterwards, a Team A player says I shouldn't have decided the game with the foul. Of course my response is that they didn't do what they needed to do to win. Ill advised 3-pt shots that were falling early, didn't fall late in the game. Plus, Team A got into the penalty early in the second half. If I don't call the foul I'm still deciding the game -just in Team A's favor right?
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I may get criticized with you, but if you feel the foul was legit I think you did the right thing. This has happened to me twice (not that little time, but under 5 seconds). Both cases, my partner had the last shot so I was focused on the action in my area. Both calls were things that had to be called, but I didn't realize time was so close when I blew the whistle (before anyone says anything...remember my partner and I had already communicated and he had the clock). When I replayed the events in my mind after the game with the benefit of hindsight and knowing the time left, I honestly felt they were both the right calls.

You didn't decide the game, the player that comitted the foul contributed, the player that made the shots contributed and everyone who missed and/or made shots during the game decided the outcome. Like you said, you don't blow the whistle and you "decide" against the other team. We don't commit the fouls...only call them.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

A foul is a foul until the final horn sounds.

Z
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
A foul is a foul until the final horn sounds.
A foul could even be called after the horn sounds A foul could even be called as you're walking off the court.

In all seriousness, tho, braboa, let me say two things. First, if the shooter was disadvantaged then you call the foul in that situation. You mention the NBA, but even in the NBA Official's Manual, it is stressed that officials are supposed to "let the players decide" the game through the legal actions they perform; NOT by letting illegal actions go uncalled. If the contact warrants a foul, then you call it, regardless of the time remaining (assuming that (a) it's not a 40 point blowout and (b) the ensuing FTs can't send the game to OT ).

Secondly, you really do need to be aware of the time remaining. Not because it will determine if you make a call or not, but b/c you need to know where the clock is/was in case it doesn't start/stop properly. This is a critical game skill that you will have to develop. You shouldn't ignore the clock just b/c your partner has the last shot.

Just in case all of that makes my original point unclear -- ya done good

Chuck
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

If you do not call a foul when there is obviously is one (with .06 on the clock) then you are helping decide who will win the game.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. Good foul, especially on a shot. The player decided the game by committing the foul. The shot may have been made if there had been no foul. You only reported what happened.

If it had been a slap on the arm when the player was in trap in the backcourt when there was only 0.06 seconds left, then a no call might have been proper. There would be no advantage gained/lost there.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

A foul is a foul

We do not ref in the NHL where the whistle is swallowed in the 3rd period (generally). If it is a foul in the first period, it is a foul in the 4th. It doesn't matter when it happens. We cannot reward bad defense by not blowing the whistle when warranted.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good, courageous call. This is what evaluators love to see when deciding whether or not to advance people. Weak people can't make this call and are normally too intimidated from everyone around them. As long as you aresure and in good position to see it clearly make it every time. Make sure it's your call though and not OOA.
Keep up the good work!!
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 07:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by braboa
Afterwards, a Team A player says I shouldn't have decided the game with the foul. If I don't call the foul I'm still deciding the game -just in Team A's favor right?
I wish all the officials I work with understood this basic principle. If a player engages in conduct that was called a foul all game long and then does it again but the official does not call the foul because it was in a close game near the end, then the official, not the players, are determining the outcome of the game.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Well, maybe I do. It's part of the "old boy" philosophy of calling the game the same way the old-timers called it and not "rocking the boat" by adhering to the rules.

Frankly, that attitude sucks.

BTW - officials commit no fouls. We just point them out to the scorer when they occur.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by braboa

Afterwards, a Team A player says I shouldn't have decided the game with the foul.
Of course we all know that YOU didn't decide anything, your
friend decided things when he fouled the shooter. What your
friend was really saying is "you should have given me a free
shot at the shooter".