The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "The Total Package" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61085-total-package.html)

bainsey Mon Jan 24, 2011 02:46pm

"The Total Package"

Think about someone who is the total officiating package. What are his/her facets that makes him/her the best of the best?

(Rasslin' fans: no mentioning Lex Luger.)

tref Mon Jan 24, 2011 02:48pm

Being a good person on & off the court.
Excellent communicator.
Great play caller.
Court presence.

JRutledge Mon Jan 24, 2011 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 721121)
Being a good person on & off the court.
Excellent communicator.
Great play caller.
Court presence.

Do not say court presence, that started an argument some time ago. :)

Peace

tref Mon Jan 24, 2011 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 721124)
Do not say court presence, that started an argument some time ago. :)

Peace

Okay :) Confident, purposeful on-court movements with great presentation to the table.

JRutledge Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 721127)
Okay :) Confident, purposeful on-court movements with great presentation to the table.

That is better. :D

But on a serious note, your court presence to me is one of the most important things about an official. Right or wrong it tells everyone a lot about how you feel about calls and things a coach is saying to you. It tells everyone if the pressure is getting to you and if you are confident when you make calls. Not to say that it comes with just having presence, without good mechanics or good communication. It is also one of the first things anyone notices about you as an official IMO.

I look at it like this as well. Just look how Jay Cutler is being perceived today after the NFC Championship. Much of that criticism is for his presence around the team and with his teammates. If his presence was better he would not be getting ripped the way he is. The same goes for what we do as officials that we instill confidence in those around us that we know what we are doing and that we are not allowing the environment to get to us.

Peace

tref Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:12pm

Well said!

RookieDude Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:14pm

...rules knowledge has to be there somewhere.

jdw3018 Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 721130)

But on a serious note, your court presence to me is one of the most important things about an official. Right or wrong it tells everyone a lot about how you feel about calls and things a coach is saying to you. It tells everyone if the pressure is getting to you and if you are confident when you make calls. Not to say that it comes with just having presence, without good mechanics or good communication. It is also one of the first things anyone notices about you as an official IMO.

I look at it like this as well. Just look how Jay Cutler is being perceived today after the NFC Championship. Much of that criticism is for his presence around the team and with his teammates. If his presence was better he would not be getting ripped the way he is. The same goes for what we do as officials that we instill confidence in those around us that we know what we are doing and that we are not allowing the environment to get to us.

Peace

Couldn't agree more.

Add in "calls a great game" and "pleasant for partners to work with" and you have the total package.

Judtech Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:26pm

Someone who makes polyester (and the new moisture wicking technology) look good!
Appearance
Approachablity
Not putting S*## into a game but know what to do when a game/play goes to S$%*
Court presence. Even though it is not objectively measurable

....but enough about me:D

Loudwhistle Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:27pm

In shape and is easy to talk to.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 721133)
...rules knowledge has to be there somewhere.

Rules knowledge is the building stone that everything else depends on. That's a basic. You can then add knowing how and when to apply those rules. And the "how" includes "presence", "game management", etc., etc. :)

JMO.

Welpe Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:51pm

Agree with Rut 100%.

And I was kind of expecting a thread about Lex Luger. :cool:

bainsey Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 721143)
And I was kind of expecting a thread about Lex Luger. :cool:

Just so it's not a total loss for you, Welpe....

YouTube - Lex Luger On The 700 Club

fullor30 Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 721130)

Peace

Sadly, a great analogy. perception is reality.

fullor30 Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 721140)
Rules knowledge is the building stone that everything else depends on. That's a basic. You can then add knowing how and when to apply those rules. And the "how" includes "presence", "game management", etc., etc. :)

JMO.

Can I get an amen