The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 04:00pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Flattered, but not sure....

Sat night GV, no problems or worries during game. I was able to work with two of our most senior officials, and while they had a couple of "nit-picky" pointers for me ( their term, not mine), they were both pleased with how the game had gone.

After the game, the "senior" of the seniors, as it were, who is a 22 year veteran and one of the area directors for our association asked me if I would be interested in running for his position when we have elections next month.

I'm flattered, but I'm just a third year ref. Not really sure if I have the experience, know-how, etc. to take on this type of position.

So my question is to you all, did you take on this type of responsibility this early in your career?

Thanks
Shav
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 04:07pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
Sat night GV, no problems or worries during game. I was able to work with two of our most senior officials, and while they had a couple of "nit-picky" pointers for me ( their term, not mine), they were both pleased with how the game had gone.

After the game, the "senior" of the seniors, as it were, who is a 22 year veteran and one of the area directors for our association asked me if I would be interested in running for his position when we have elections next month.

I'm flattered, but I'm just a third year ref. Not really sure if I have the experience, know-how, etc. to take on this type of position.

So my question is to you all, did you take on this type of responsibility this early in your career?

Thanks
Shav
Look at this as an opportunity to know and get known in the association. It does not mean that you are thrust into the position of being an expert. I ended up on the board of directors at my local country club and was by no means an expert golfer and still am far from it. I had golfed for about 4 years at the time. But I was able to offer a perspective that was a bit different from those that had been golfers or members for many years. Look at it from that perspective.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:47pm

26, thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of it that way.

It's definitely a good way of getting to know folks and get known statewide...

I spoke to some of our second through sixth year folks last night, they're all of the opinion to go for it. One guy said that he thought it would be nice to have someone in that position that they could relate to, and could relate to them. Our other AD is a 20 plus year vet as well.

So, I guess I'll go for the nomination.. keep ya posted.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I doubt he would have asked you without thinking about it. It seems he thinks your perspective would be valuable on the board. I say go for it.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing compares to on-the-job training - related to the new position. And I don't think the number of years you have been officiating is as important as your understanding of the game, etc. There are games where I am the R but my partner(s) have more years of experience than I do. They are good guys and do a decent job but you can see why they aren't the R - their overall understanding of the game, the importance of pre-game, etc. isn't there. They do a good job on the floor but are lacking that extra "something" that makes them stand out. They are good but could be better if that makes sense

Obviously this guy saw you had that "something" and wants to have you develop it at a higher level
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:25pm

Thanks Snaqs and Robby. I called him a little while ago and said I'd throw my hat in the ring..