The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   fould during throw in? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60495-fould-during-throw.html)

hawkeyegb Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:10pm

fould during throw in?

what is the ruling for a foul during a throw in after a dead ball situation? Is it a common foul? Intentional? Thanks!

SamIAm Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyegb (Post 715844)
what is the ruling for a foul during a throw in after a dead ball situation? Is it a common foul? Intentional? Thanks!

Who was fouled? The thrower-in?

hawkeyegb Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:17pm

A1 throwing it in and B1 fouls A2 with a hold

bob jenkins Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyegb (Post 715847)
A1 throwing it in and B1 fouls A2 with a hold

The ball is live, so it's treated just as any other foul.

tref Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:24pm

Bingo! ^ And thats whether the throw-in has ended or not.

Its different if Team A commits the foul.

Freddy Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:24pm

Fould?

4-19 ART. 2 . . . A common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant nor
intentional nor committed against a player trying or tapping for a field goal nor a
part of a double, simultaneous or multiple foul.

As long the ball is live, which it is after being at the disposal of the thrower-inner, it's a common foul. Unless you deem it intentional or flagrant.

hawkeyegb Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:24pm

So if Team B is behind by 4 points with 10 seconds left they can foul team A after a TO even if the throw in has not been completed....still a common foul? I thought there was a dead ball issue when a foul has been committed. I also realize the ball is considered live once it is at the disposal of the thrower

hawkeyegb Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:27pm

ok thanks guys...I'm just getting back into ref. but was this rule different back in the 90's?

Freddy Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:27pm

The ball is dead only prior the ball being at disposal of the thrower for the administration of the throw-in. Prior to that, if a foul occurred during the dead ball, it would not be a common foul, but an intentional technical.

tref Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyegb (Post 715852)
So if Team B is behind by 4 points with 10 seconds left they can foul team A after a TO even if the throw in has not been completed....still a common foul? I thought there was a dead ball issue when a foul has been committed.

The ball is live once at the throwers disposal... fouling to avoid the clock starting in your EOG situation is an intentional personal foul.

Adam Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 715855)
The ball is live once at the throwers disposal... fouling to avoid the clock starting in your EOG situation is an intentional personal foul.

I agree by the way this is worded, but not every foul that prevents the clock from starting in this situation is an intentional foul.

tref Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:54pm

Concur

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 14, 2011 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyegb (Post 715853)
ok thanks guys...I'm just getting back into ref. but was this rule different back in the 90's?

No.

Indianaref Fri Jan 14, 2011 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyegb (Post 715853)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 715871)
No.

How about the 1890's?

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 14, 2011 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 715882)
How about the 1890's?

Iirc the first infringment for holding, shouldering, etc. by the defense was a foul. The second infringment was disqualification of the defender until the next goal was made. However if there was an evident intent to injure, the person committing the infringment was disqualified for the rest of the game with no substitute allowed.

And also if the infringement was a consecutive foul by the defense, we counted a goal for the opponents.

Did you want rules citations too? I believe it was rule #5 and rule #7.