The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 05:55pm
Back from the DL

Why We Don't Diss

Last week, I had a middle school doubleheader, girls then boys.

A number of officials verbally dump on middle school assignments, particulary those with no Y chromosones. That can come back to bite you very easily.

On this day, these girls knew what they were doing on the floor. The play was solid, a little physical, but still well in control. I had nothing but praise for this assignment.

The next night, I helped out a friend who's contracted to run the jumbotron at the University of Maine ("Black Bear Vision"). Normally, he gets some college kids to run the floor cameras, but during semester break, I'll grab a camera and a headset. The headset is for communication among the booth and the three cameramen. Most of the verbage is instruction, but we also bust each others' chops. (Familiarity breeds contempt.)

The other cameramen typically aren't basketball fans, so there's some grumbling when the score isn't that high. (I call it good defense; they say I'm full of it.) When discussion turned to games I had recently worked, I sang praises for the middle school girls' game I served the day before.

It's a good thing I did, because little did I know, working in the booth was an assistant coach from that very game. I wasn't aware of it until I went into the booth that night, and there he was, wrapping up. We exchanged pleasanties, and talked about what's next for the season. The discussion was genuine, yet it hit me like a ton of bricks that I'm glad I didn't fall into the trap of speaking ill of what some consider to be a undesireable assignment.

Simply put, you never know who is listening, so try to keep it upbeat. If the game you work isn't up to a certain level, leave it with "those things happen." It's still basketball.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

really? a post on this? you have the same chances as winning the lottery as what happened to you here. the games are what they are; slow, boring and at times painful.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There is always something to work on in games that are ugly. Could be working on your counts. I did that last night--game wasn't ugly, but it wasn't close, either. My counts turned out to be pretty decent. Could be working the arc. Or FT administration. Or any number of things. The game IS important to the kids. And what better time to work on a weakness than a game whose outcome will not be in doubt within a few minutes?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

It amazes me that some people who post on here in reference to girls/womens sports are even involved with them. I'm just saying..
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Simply put, you never know who is listening, so try to keep it upbeat. If the game you work isn't up to a certain level, leave it with "those things happen." It's still basketball.[/QUOTE]

+1 and keep in mind that whatever level you are officiating, the game is a big deal to the kids that are participating no matter what the level. Lower level games are good places to practice your own personal weak areas.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

And no thread on a topic like this is wasted. Sometimes you get a chance to work on things... like the ignore list.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
really? a post on this? you have the same chances as winning the lottery as what happened to you here. the games are what they are; slow, boring and at times painful.
Maybe, but it's a good lesson for life, as well. You never know who's listening and paying attention; nor what affect that might have on your future. Ignore that fact at your own risk.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Maybe, but it's a good lesson for life, as well. You never know who's listening and paying attention; nor what affect that might have on your future. Ignore that fact at your own risk.
Dang. You circumvented the feature.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ok, now that's funny.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Odd Situations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Lower level games are good places to practice your own personal weak areas.
Plus, you see odd rule situations in these low level games that usually only happen in these low level games, and you learn how to handle them, until one day, low and behold, you have the same situation, a once in a career occurrence, of this odd play in a high school varsity game, and you're now sure that you know how to handle it.

I like my middle school games. When I fully retire from my day job, I hope that I'm healthy enough to work afternoon middle school, and freshman, games. I'll probably be too old to keep up with those high school varsity whippersnappers, unless Connecticut decides to step up into the 21st century lose it's "Land Of The Two Person Game" label.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why does anyone care what someone else does not want to do?

This is not up for a vote. If someone does not like working a level they do not have to work those games. So why would you justify what you do?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

How was that a part of this discussion? I must have missed it.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 06:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How was that a part of this discussion? I must have missed it.
Did you read the last sentence of the OP?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 07:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Did you read the last sentence of the OP?

Peace
Did you mean the last sentence, or the penultimate sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Simply put, you never know who is listening, so try to keep it upbeat. If the game you work isn't up to a certain level, leave it with "those things happen." It's still basketball.
I still don't see how your response was relevant, but maybe it's my meds.
He wasn't saying you have to work it, only to be careful how you talk about it if you do work it.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 07:04pm.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

No matter the level

I got into officiating basketball when I was 54 years old. I don't have visions of exciting tournament assignments and progressing through the ranks until I reach some defined pinnacle of officiating.

I enjoy my involvement in a sport I love, but wasn't skilled enough to play at an advanced level. I am motivated to keep myself in shape and I get some exercise during the season that keeps me reasonably fit, and I pick up some money that helps with the occassional unexpected bill or allows me to spend on something I really want but don't need, or hand a few dollars to my daughter when she needs new tires on her car but can't quite see her way to pay the bill.

I learn something from each assignment, mainly because I try to remember two or three things from each game and either read the book to see if I handled it correctly, or change the scenario somewhat to challenge my knowledge of the rules.

Sure there's well played games and poorly played games, but there's no where I'd rather be. And I would never make a negative comment to anyone about a game experience.